Advice on best size tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaz77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have recently started keeping cichlids I know my tank is to small 70lts=15gns but all my fish are juveniles 3/4 cm the largest and at present are behaving (no aggression ) to each other. My intention is to buy a new tank within a couple of months .but have just seen one at my lfs that I can have a deal on but not sure if it's going to be ok I would like 25/30 fish at present I have 20 small ones the tank is 125lts would that be suitable .my other problem will be the wife she is not to keen on the one I have now so I can't come back with one you would see at see world or I will be living in it!!!.so it not possible for me to get a really large tank I need to be sensible and also give the fish a good environment to live in .cheers and a happy new year!

With cichlids, bigger is better, but it depends on the type and their adult size. Currently I have a 55 gallon tank (48") and it's over stocked. I'm in the process of setting up a 125 gallon tank (72") so they have room. If your keeping dwarfs or shell dwellers, you can go a little smaller, but the general rule of thumb is 48" long. That equates to a standard 55 gallon, or the 40gal breeder.

What types of cichlids are they? What type of filter do you plan on having?

At the moment I have two of each , , mbuna blue zebra yellow lads red zebra heps garraffe ob peacocks and a few others so its a mixed bunch .but I dont know what type of filters do you mean I thought they come in the tank .I am new to the hobby so forgive me if I seem a bit dim.

Back
Top Bottom