Advice on Malawli Peacock 90 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've decided my new 90 Gallon will be a Cichlid tank (I think I may be obsessed). Alot of people do Mbuna, but I was interested in the Peacocks. Correct me if im wrong but you cannot mix peacocks, Haps, and Mbuna unless you want a blood bath.

First question is, How many Peacocks could thrive in a 90 Gallon tank?

Second question is, what are some advantages/disadvantages of Peacocks vs. Mbuna?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=3

Here's a link to peacock species, would I be able to mix any of these together since they are indeed all peacocks?

Never kept them but guessing 15 or so. Try aqua advisor. Most people keep male only show tanks for the better color I think.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How do you choose male only? Ive been wondering the same thing but its impossible to sex them at a young age so do you just trade them out until you get all male?

Certain sites sell male sexed fish. Or you can buy unsexed and rehome females.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Many people have haps and peacocks in the same tank, including me. As for advantages/disadvantages, there are really no difference except peacocks are a bit more peaceful and don't require as much rockwork; however some of my peacocks do try to claim areas of the tank or the few rocks in the tank, so it's inevitable for territorial aggression.

Either buy all males at $30-40 each, or buy juveniles and rehome females if you're looking to do an all male tank.

I have all 3 mixed in my tank with 0 problems now. I'll give a quick run down on how I started my 125 gallon tank.

4 months ago bought a 55 gallon tank that had 8 Mbuna's, 3 were bumblebees (8 year old father and 2 male offspring about a year old). Once I set the tank up at my house I introduced 5 more Ciclids (all adults). 3 more Mbuna's, 2 Haps. They lived fine together for about a month when I noticed the tank boss (8 year old bumblebee) was chasing the 2 younger bumblebees around. Decided I was going to rehome 2 of them but never got a chance. The following day I woke up to a dead bumblebee and the entire tank was hiding from the tank boss. Yanked him out that morning and turned him in to LFS. Added 2 more Mbuna's same day I turned trouble maker in.

Few months ago I bought 125 gallon. After the setup I added 6 more Peacocks most were juveniles. As of now I have not had any territorial problems. I don't really have an alpha fish (2 seem to alternate depending on the week). I have noticed my juvenile Kadango seems to be testing the tank, he's fearless with the adults who are 3 times his size.

I know this turned out longer than I expected, bottom line is it's going to depend on the individual fish. Some species are more aggressive than others. My bumblebee on paper should be the most aggressive/territorial but he's a big softie. So just watch your fish, turn in trouble makers and keep buying till you get a tank that suits your needs.

I have a mixed tank of new world, haps, peacock, and mbuna. The only advice I can give is generally you want smaller mbunas, because their brute, when adding to the tank. Also watch your fish when you put them in for atleast 20 mins and see who's picking him and check in on the tank about an hour or two later to see if the aggression has subsided if he seems fine keep him and just keep checking throughout the day. or if he's showing signs of stress try another tank or maybe rearrange and do a water change it will confuse and reorganize boundaries. My saying is it all depends on the fish.
I have 4 tanks going and I have to sometimes move some around when the get temperamental. Not saying just go throw a bunch of fish and expect it to work. Do research on the fish you want to buy. I always take a quick glance through Google at the store if I'm not familiar with a fish so I know which tank I can put him in until I get more information.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom