Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow I don't think they will take him back I will just upgrade when I can and hopefully all my fish make it until then I hate being misinformed about my fish then I stress until they have what they r suppose to have. Gezzzz
IMO, You should at least call and ask if the store will take them back. Petsmart and Petco take fish in as adoptions too. Your best bet would be to re-home all your new cichlids except the ram, and also the pleco and the birchir. The problem with just waiting to upgrade when you can is that you can stunt the fish's growth and cause damage to them or their aggression can spike and they will take it out on each other. Whats best for the fish, is to re-home them somewhere. You have some cichlids that will be bigger than the 10 gallon tank you have them in.

My cichlids are not in the ten gallon and I will not give any of my fish away they will be okay for two weeks at the most. I love all my fish and my blue cichlid I have had him for almost six months he is my baby blue never. I will have the means to take care of them very soon. They r beautiful fish and they help with my anxiety. I will make sure they are takin care of, and please I don't wanna be told what to do with them I would just like to know whats the best environment for them. So I can give it to them! Thanks.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
My cichlids are not in the ten gallon and I will not give any of my fish away they will be okay for two weeks at the most. I love all my fish and my blue cichlid I have had him for almost six months he is my baby blue never. I will have the means to take care of them very soon. They r beautiful fish and they help with my anxiety. I will make sure they are takin care of, and please I don't wanna be told what to do with them I would just like to know whats the best environment for them. So I can give it to them! Thanks.

The facts are, your fish get too big. You didnt do research. And by posting a thread, your asking for advice haha. Well here it is! What size tank are the chiclids in? One will get 11"! Thats too big. We ALL love our fish and it is necessary to do whats best for them. Based off of what you have, you will need a huge tank for your chiclid, a huge tank for the bichir, and around a 40 gallon for the angel and ram plus some other fish...

Yeah I found that out that they get big petsmart said they stayed small right now they r in a ten gallon but in a week I am getting them a bigger tank. So I need to put the ram with my angel?
Sorry, I assumed this post meant the cichlids.
Sorry for being pushy. I do not doubt that you care about your fish. I should have added that I advise you to do that rather than to sounds like I was giving an order.
Anyhow, you have a quite a variety of fish and they cannot all go in the same tank. You should do some research on the cichlid species you have to see if they are compatable, or if you will need separate tanks. The angel and ram can stay in the 29 gallon.

Okay I was way misinformed about my fish it was my anniversary and I was told pick some fish I went off of the info they had on the little card on fish tanks and it was wrong. I know this now I need yalls help to better home them we have the money to do so. Okay let me start out by saying all the fish we got we were told one thing and I found out different. So I am trying to figure out who can go with who and how big the tanks need to be. Electric blue hap, electric yellow cichlid, jewel cichlid, ram cichlid (they r in a twenty gallon), I bought this one online can't find no info anywhere it's a blue veil angelfish, plecto, Dino bichir (in a ten gallon), two dalamation mollys and a g. Tile moray eel in a 15 gal he is getting his 30 gal in one week he is almost two ft he needs the room very bad. I need help on my cichlids and Dino like tank size and environment ( like rocks plants etc) and the size the fish gets. thanx for everyone help! Much appreciated!

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Okay I was way misinformed about my fish it was my anniversary and I was told pick some fish I went off of the info they had on the little card on fish tanks and it was wrong. I know this now I need yalls help to better home them we have the money to do so. Okay let me start out by saying all the fish we got we were told one thing and I found out different. So I am trying to figure out who can go with who and how big the tanks need to be. Electric blue hap, electric yellow cichlid, jewel cichlid, ram cichlid (they r in a twenty gallon), I bought this one online can't find no info anywhere it's a blue veil angelfish, plecto, Dino bichir (in a ten gallon), two dalamation mollys and a g. Tile moray eel in a 15 gal he is getting his 30 gal in one week he is almost two ft he needs the room very bad. I need help on my cichlids and Dino like tank size and environment ( like rocks plants etc) and the size the fish gets. thanx for everyone help! Much appreciated!

Lab needs at least a 50 with rocks and a sandy bottom.
Electric hap needs at least 55 with same (rocks sand)
Jewel chiclid areound a 50, thay can get pretty big
Ram can stay in the 29 with the angel but needs great water conditions as they are sensitive
Birchir needs at least a 75 g as it can get over a foot as an adult. I researched all this stuff so correct my if im wrong absolutangel or anyone else

Could the cichlids be in one tank if it's the right size? Minus the ram. And what about my plecto can he be with the cichlids in the big tank?

I am not sure about those cichlids. I think you are looking at around a 125 gallon tank for the misc. cichlids and the birchirs. Don't quote me on thet yet though. I am looking into it. The tire track eel needs a much bigger tank than 30g IMO. If he is already 2 feet, he needs a tank that is more like 6 feet. Again, I will check on that more, but don't tire track eels reach like 4 feet?

absolutangel04 said:
I am not sure about those cichlids. I think you are looking at around a 125 gallon tank for the misc. cichlids and the birchirs. Don't quote me on thet yet though. I am looking into it. The tire track eel needs a much bigger tank than 30g IMO. If he is already 2 feet, he needs a tank that is more like 6 feet. Again, I will check on that more, but don't tire track eels reach like 4 feet?

I actually think she said tile moray eel...nit sure what that is though...

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Could the cichlids be in one tank if it's the right size? Minus the ram. And what about my plecto can he be with the cichlids in the big tank?

Pleco will need at least 125 g if its a common. It could be in there since they are so big

I actually think she said tile moray eel...nit sure what that is though...
Whoops, you are right. I read tire instead of tile.
But, what I said about the tank size is still accurate. You are also right about the pleco in the 125.
I am not positive about which cichlids can together, so I don't know about keeping them together. But, you may have to get multiple tanks.
How many bichirs are there? Just one, or more? I know some people keep them with milder cichlids, but I do not know how good of an idea it is. 75 gallons at least is what you are looking at for them/it though.
The ram, angel, and mollies can all go in the 29 and live happily (most likely, since there are never guarentees when dealing with living animals).

That 29 is too small for All of those cichlids except the Ram. Africans need a minimum of a 4' tank so you are looking at a 40-55 gallon tank as a bare minimum. The electric blue is a hap and needs a 6' tank minimum.

The "Pearl Cichlid" is actually a Geophagus brasiliensis and can grow up to 11"
OK, Mogurako knows a lot about cichlids, so these are the tank recommedations he gives. It sounds like I was wrong in thinking maybe they could be together. Maybe you could keep the birchir in a huge tank with the eel, and then work on getting various cichlid tanks for these species. If you want to keep them all, you are going to have quite a few big tanks.

g. Tile moray eel it is a brackish water eel like I said I was misinformed about all my fish. They told me he was freshwater and he eats blood worms which is wrong he eats live fish and cocktail shrimp. But he only grows to foot and I have looked up everything on him. His name is drop dead Fred lol he has died on me like three times and I bring him back. I finally got his water and everything correct it's been tough with him. Now he is getting his 30 gal and yes that is good from everything I read.

The mollies nip at my angelfish and the are my eels food when he wants them. There was three of them he ate one a couple of notes ago. The dino can't go with the eel. The eel is a marine fish and so r mollies. And why couldnt I keep the aggressive cichlids and each other in a 125 gal? They would have all their own hiding spots and caves they get along now.

OK, so I read this post where you said the eel is 2 ft, and now you just posted saying he only grows to a foot?
OK, its good that you did your research on these fish, but we have no way of knowing what you know or don't know. Sorry, I am not trying to mislead you, but I getting info in random bits and pieces and I am getting confused.
Why don't you just list all your tanks and what is in them currently with notes about where they are going if they are taken care of, or else notes about what you still need to know. I really want to help you, but I do not know what you already know since you have clearly done research on these guys. That makes it easier. Sorry, I was unfmailiar with your eel species. Both Gboy and I said we were not sure. But, brackish is not the same as marine, so be careful with your words. Also, mollies do fine in full fw and may people keep them that way, but that is your choice. They can be brackish, but they are certainly not marine.
The cichlids may not be able to go together because of parameter differences and aggression. I am looking into this more as I am sure are you. Also, more people will probably chime in. :)

Okay one thing on my eel I may have messed up in typing it. He can get up to two ft right now he is about one and half foot. My four cichlids are together in a twenty gal they r small right now that is why I'm trying to figure out how they would be most happy. My angel and birchir is in a ten gal for a week then go to a 29 gal. I need to know info on my cichlids and birchir.

I got it. You said, "he only grows to foot" and I thought you meant "to a foot", but you meant two foot? Anyway, please still do the list, but just ommit the eel since you have him all figured out and set to go. They look like a cool species. Glad you got him to "come back."

Oh yeah my eel can live from fw to sw and anywhere in between he just won't live his healthy life in fw completely. He is known to travel back and forth from sw to fw to spawn, eat, and get sw parasites off. He was hard to maintain at first but I finally read enough and figured him out now he is doing real good just needs bigger tank. Which is very soon! Thanks

Okay one thing on my eel I may have messed up in typing it. He can get up to two ft right now he is about one and half foot. My four cichlids are together in a twenty gal they r small right now that is why I'm trying to figure out how they would be most happy. My angel and birchir is in a ten gal for a week then go to a 29 gal. I need to know info on my cichlids and birchir.
OK, the bichir needs 75 gallons imo. The ram needs to go with the angel, or you could get him in a ram mate and keep him in the 20 once the others are gone. But you need to separate the ram asap.
One note about cichlids, most get mean. They are aggressive and territorial. The way they act as babies does not at all indicate that they will act that way in the future.
So, there is a yellow lab, a blue hap, and a pearl and you want to know if thay can go together? Are there any other cichlids?

Yeah I really enjoy watching him he ia cool. Okay twenty gal has one electric blue hap, one electric yellow cichlid, one ram cichlid, and a jewel cichid. They r pretty small still no color except the yellow one lol. Umm the ten gallon has a blue veil angelfish, Dino birchir he is about three inches, and plecto. Everyone is going bigger. The angel and ram are going into the twenty when I get bigger for the cichlids probably two wks at longest. Need to know anything else just ask. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom