Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chasnkevin4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Big spring tx
Posts: 485
Advice please

Need some advice on my cichlids. Petsmart told me I can put any cichlid with any cichlid? Right now I have four cichlids ( electric yellow, ram, pearl, and a blue ) they seem to get along but I am scared the others are going to kill our ram cuz he stays smaller. If anyone could help out please let me know I dont want any to die cuz I was misinformed.
__________________

__________________
lil mama
20g-ram&guppiez/30g-JD&pleco/60g-two g. Tile moray eels!
Chasnkevin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mogurako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: US, Washington state
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnkevin4ever
Need some advice on my cichlids. Petsmart told me I can put any cichlid with any cichlid? Right now I have four cichlids ( electric yellow, ram, pearl, and a blue ) they seem to get along but I am scared the others are going to kill our ram cuz he stays smaller. If anyone could help out please let me know I dont want any to die cuz I was misinformed.
Petsmart strikes again with the bad advice, not all cichlids can go together.

Electric yellow labs are Mbuna
Ram is a new world cichlid
I'm not sure what pearl and blue cichlids are.

The rams should not be kept with the large more aggressive fish like Mbuna they'll get torn to shreds.
__________________

__________________
Mogurako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chasnkevin4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Big spring tx
Posts: 485
God it's like the always give me wrong info. Okay blue is my electric blue cichlid and my pearl cichlid I have know idea suppose to be pink with blue and green spots he looks just like my blue same body shape same marking just different colors. and do u think it would be alright for now to put my ram cichlid in with my angelfish, plecto, and Dino bichir? They r all none aggressive fish.
__________________
lil mama
20g-ram&guppiez/30g-JD&pleco/60g-two g. Tile moray eels!
Chasnkevin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
Petsmart strikes again with the bad advice, not all cichlids can go together.

Electric yellow labs are Mbuna
Ram is a new world cichlid
I'm not sure what pearl and blue cichlids are.

The rams should not be kept with the large more aggressive fish like Mbuna they'll get torn to shreds.
I agree. Leave them together for long enough and the ram will die in my opinion. I suggest you return them all and do some reseach about what cichlids are compatable, in what gender ratios to keep them, and how many will be happy in your tank before purchasing anything else.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnkevin4ever
God it's like the always give me wrong info. Okay blue is my electric blue cichlid and my pearl cichlid I have know idea suppose to be pink with blue and green spots he looks just like my blue same body shape same marking just different colors. and do u think it would be alright for now to put my ram cichlid in with my angelfish, plecto, and Dino bichir? They r all none aggressive fish.
Yes a ram could be with them. How bigs the tank? Must be big for a bichir
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chasnkevin4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Big spring tx
Posts: 485
Yeah I found that out that they get big petsmart said they stayed small right now they r in a ten gallon but in a week I am getting them a bigger tank. So I need to put the ram with my angel?
__________________
lil mama
20g-ram&guppiez/30g-JD&pleco/60g-two g. Tile moray eels!
Chasnkevin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnkevin4ever
Yeah I found that out that they get big petsmart said they stayed small right now they r in a ten gallon but in a week I am getting them a bigger tank. So I need to put the ram with my angel?
Yes. So you have an angel and a birchir in a 10? Sheesh. Ya how big will the new tank be? I guess youll have to put the ram in the 10..
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnkevin4ever View Post
Yeah I found that out that they get big petsmart said they stayed small right now they r in a ten gallon but in a week I am getting them a bigger tank. So I need to put the ram with my angel?
That depends. How big is the angel's tank? What all is in it? Just because a ram can get along with an angel does not mean that the angel tank is necessarily the best place for it to go. Also, do you have a way to measure the water parameters? Rams are somewhat sensitive and you need to make sure anytank you put them suits their needs.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chasnkevin4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Big spring tx
Posts: 485
Its almost thirty gallons and how big does the bichir get?
__________________
lil mama
20g-ram&guppiez/30g-JD&pleco/60g-two g. Tile moray eels!
Chasnkevin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Chasnkevin4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Big spring tx
Posts: 485
So the ram is a sensitive fish?
__________________

__________________
lil mama
20g-ram&guppiez/30g-JD&pleco/60g-two g. Tile moray eels!
Chasnkevin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
37 Gal - Fish are dying, need advice jonnyep Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 6 10-03-2011 09:06 PM
New setup....need advice justin85 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 07-25-2011 12:30 PM
Fish dying, need advice. Squareheads Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 36 07-14-2011 10:42 PM
need clear advice goldfishies Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 07-07-2011 10:01 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.