Advise please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumbuff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tomorrow I am taking delivery of a Jewel Rio 180 aquarium, which is 101x41x50cm with a capacity of 180 litres . I would like to keep Cichlids in it and am looking for advise of which are the easiet and keep. I have a angel fish. a silver dollar and two clown loaches I want to transfer from my existing community tank. I am looking along the lines of putting in rams, kribs and maybe a yellow cichlid. Can anyone give me advise of how many I can put in a tank of this size . My local fish shop sell some mixed Cichlids which are a mixture of colours, which are kept in the same tank could I just pick the ones I like the colours of.

Aquarium Buff

Welcome to AA! I would not recommend going with mixed cichlids from your lfs. Without knowing what kind of cichlids they are, you have no way of knowing if they will go together in a tank. Just because a lfs has them in the same tank doesn't mean they will co-exsist peacefully as they grow. Also for african cichlids you need a larger tank, 55 gals min. or 210 litres. I would definately consider GBR's, they are a beautiful fish. There are a lot of pretty apistogrammas as well.

Zagz is correct, and to be sure, the fish you see listed as "mixed" are more than likely African Cichlids, which are a world apart in their needs than the SA Cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom