Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Af Chichlids i want what size tank do i need?

I dont have much time i gotta jet to class but here is a list of Af chichlids i want and i was hoping someone could help me set up the amount of fish i should get of each and the size tank i would need the min size even though i have acces to a 120 gal for 180 dollars. 75 gal is 120 dollars 55 gal is 70 dollars. THanks for the help

All are lake mawalie (spelling)

Melanochromis johanii

Placidochromis phenochilus

Pseudotropheus demasoni

Pseudotropheus kingsizei

Otopharynx lithobates

Adam

Old 04-08-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Lake Malawi
I don't own any of these. You should double check their max size and post it. Also check to see if all are Mbuna (rock dwellers). I have 13 Africans (all Mbuna) in an 80 gal, plus a pleco and two catfish. Mine have a ton of lace rock to hide in, which helps keep aggression down.
Have you decided on substrate and what type of rocks you are going to use? That may factor in on your cost and ultimately how much and how large your tank is. I would go for the 75 gal. You can put a pair of each fish in there plus pleco or other Synodontis. If you want a ton of fish, go with the 120 gal!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think you'll find 55 is the minimum. However, you've selected some VERY aggressive species of Africans. Think minimums of three on each species, some of those even 4. That would be 2 or 3 females to every one male.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...rence_list.php <---lists some sample setups
Old 04-09-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I know when I typed my message, I included looking up temperament I have to stop going between word and typing here
Since I don't own these, my suggestion was just a guess. You may want to go with a tank of various Pseudotropheus sp. You can see my profile for what is in my tank. I will admit that the tank is heavily stocked with males with only three known females and the Pseudothropheus will interbreed

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chi, ich, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com