Afican ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it is P.elongatus neon spot. There is a site with a video showing breeding pairs.

http://www.tonysafricancichlids.co.uk/product/pseudotropheusneonspotpair

http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=23508

I just bought 2 females and they look like your fish but the markings are darker. Mine have a yellowish hue on the dorsal and caudal fins. Body is also whitish/yellowish with a slight blue hue. Granted they are juveniles but there were other juveniles their size at the LFS that were blue (males). Anyway, I hope mine are females as these are beautiful fish. I am trying to figure out an ID of the males on a separate thread (Fish ID Please) of a male fish.

My vote is: female Pseudotropheus interruptus.

It's a johanni!! Lol

Joostrom's fish is a washed out johanni. :)

Female/juvie interruptus are yellow, and are often mis-IDed on forums as "yellow lab hybrids", rotorhead22. Your ID has been eatin' at me, and I've been lookin' at every resource I can think of to help ya out. Your fish looks to me as a species I know as Melanochromis elastodema, especially after ya redescribed the juvies as yellowish/whitish, though it probly doesn't belong in Melanochromis. But, it seems in his latest revision of the genus, Konings invalidated the species and lumped it with Pseudotropheus interruptus as a single species. Found this out when I reread his paper to see where he stuck M. elastodema. Not sure I agree with that, Konings bein' the Malawi Fish God or not. He provides no reasoning. Somebody really needs to start doin' mitochondrial DNA mapping of the mbuna on a species level.

The word hybrid came up, and that always makes me nervous. It is all too easy to jump to the "hybrid" conclusion with juvie fish that are not recognized. Caution on hybrid IDs, I'm slow to diagnose anything as a hybrid, for several reasons. Now, hybridization can and does occur, both naturally in Lake Malawi and in aquariums. That is a fact. It's often looked at as one contributing force in the vast radiation of the Malawi species flock. However, it is not a simply a matter of putting a male and female of different species in a tank and "presto" getting hybrids. Cichlids see in color, have distinct pheromonal signatures and distinct breeding displays. Dozens of species live sympatrically in the lake and never hybridize. There have been numerous studies of this both in labs and in the lake itself. In 25 years of keepin' mbuna, I have intentionally tried to create hybrids and have never succeeded, even though I've had some 40+ species of mbuna spawn for me. Add to this that there are dozens of undescribed species still bein' found all the time, and the end conclusion is that no one can really know the juvenile and adult forms of every species in the lake. Automatically jumping to the conclusion that a fish that I don't recognize in either adult or juvie form is a hybrid is irresponsible.

That is one thing that has attracted me to this forum, and made me stick around. The members here don't automatically jump to the conclusion that every unidentified mbuna that isn't immediately recognized is a hybrid. This has almost got me banned on one forum 'cuz I had the audacity to question a mod who diagnosed a fish as a yellow lab hybrid, even though I knew it was a juvie P. interruptus. :)

WYite

Wyomingite said:
Joostrom's fish is a washed out johanni. :)

Female/juvie interruptus are yellow, and are often mis-IDed on forums as "yellow lab hybrids", rotorhead22. Your ID has been eatin' at me, and I've been lookin' at every resource I can think of to help ya out. Your fish looks to me as a species I know as Melanochromis elastodema, especially after ya redescribed the juvies as yellowish/whitish, though it probly doesn't belong in Melanochromis. But, it seems in his latest revision of the genus, Konings invalidated the species and lumped it with Pseudotropheus interruptus as a single species. Found this out when I reread his paper to see where he stuck M. elastodema. Not sure I agree with that, Konings bein' the Malawi Fish God or not. He provides no reasoning. Somebody really needs to start doin' mitochondrial DNA mapping of the mbuna on a species level.

The word hybrid came up, and that always makes me nervous. It is all too easy to jump to the "hybrid" conclusion with juvie fish that are not recognized. Caution on hybrid IDs, I'm slow to diagnose anything as a hybrid, for several reasons. Now, hybridization can and does occur, both naturally in Lake Malawi and in aquariums. That is a fact. It's often looked at as one contributing force in the vast radiation of the Malawi species flock. However, it is not a simply a matter of putting a male and female of different species in a tank and "presto" getting hybrids. Cichlids see in color, have distinct pheromonal signatures and distinct breeding displays. Dozens of species live sympatrically in the lake and never hybridize. There have been numerous studies of this both in labs and in the lake itself. In 25 years of keepin' mbuna, I have intentionally tried to create hybrids and have never succeeded, even though I've had some 40+ species of mbuna spawn for me. Add to this that there are dozens of undescribed species still bein' found all the time, and the end conclusion is that no one can really know the juvenile and adult forms of every species in the lake. Automatically jumping to the conclusion that a fish that I don't recognize in either adult or juvie form is a hybrid is irresponsible.

That is one thing that has attracted me to this forum, and made me stick around. The members here don't automatically jump to the conclusion that every unidentified mbuna that isn't immediately recognized is a hybrid. This has almost got me banned on one forum 'cuz I had the audacity to question a mod who diagnosed a fish as a yellow lab hybrid, even though I knew it was a juvie P. interruptus. :)

WYite

Solved lol a very washed one

Back
Top Bottom