African Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
What size tank should they be housed in?
Can they be loners?

And what other fish can you put them with?

DoqTzap1iyEKmgDzS4DpQPj7Hzhk.jpg

THIS is the fish, hahahaha... which looks like the, technically, second pic I posted.

That's a pretty tall order. African cichlids come in varying degrees of temperment, care, tank size, etc. If you have a particular species in mind, please tell.

IMO, 55 gal minimum unless you are looking at species such as Shellies. Even Mbuna IMO should be in a 55 gal minimum.

I would not make them loners. Some species of Africans are most comfortable in groups.

As mentioned there are vast differences between African cichlids. Tank size should be 55 + gallons. Africans can't all be mixed together, there are mbuna, haps, aulonocara and fish from Lake Tanganyika that I am not nearly as familiar with. Cichlids from different lakes should not be mixed together and all cichlids should be researched before mixing any in a tank together. Some are far more aggressive than others. You need to decide on what kind of cichlids you are interested in and then the members here will be more than happy to help you with stocking choices.

Jchillin said:
That's a pretty tall order. African cichlids come in varying degrees of temperment, care, tank size, etc. If you have a particular species in mind, please tell.

All I know in the store it said African Cichlids and it was the prettiest blue color.

sweetness8t5 said:
Jchillin said:

All I know in the store it said African Cichlids and it was the prettiest blue color.

I think if you snap a pic the fine members of AA will be able to identify it and point you in the right direction. Maybe you could even find a similar pic on google or find the fish at www.liveaquaria.com

Unless I'm mistaken cichlids of the malawian variety will have more chances of being blue than tanganyikan or another variety.

8O That sign, "African Cichlids" often means a mixed bag of fish with questionable parents. There are a number of blue cichlids, but P. socolofi is the first to come to my mind.

Cobalts come to mind when you say pretty blue. The Cobalt and Socolofi look similar except the Socolofi has a distinct marking on it's top fin.

black hills tj said:
sweetness8t5 said:
Jchillin said:

I think if you snap a pic the fine members of AA will be able to identify it and point you in the right direction. Maybe you could even find a similar pic on google or find the fish at www.liveaquaria.com

Unless I'm mistaken cichlids of the malawian variety will have more chances of being blue than tanganyikan or another variety.

Since I don't really remember exactly how it looked, I saw these two pics that remind me of it... But the first one looks more like it (if memory serves me right). I think it's the first pic more because I remember thinking it looks so "smooth".. I'll see if I can go to the store today and take a picture of it.Oh, it also said it grows 4-6'', if that helps.

RedTop_Zebra.JPG

polit.jpg

I'm looking to get a 30 or 35g... with a community in it. If I can't get this particular cichlid are they're any others you'd recommend?
How 'bout any dwarf cichlids? I was thinking about a cockatoo dwarf cichlid.

The first picture is of a Metriaclima greshakei and they get around 5-6 inches and would not be appropriate for a 30-35g tank. The second looks to be some type of Pseudotropheus or maybe even another Metriaclima species (both are considered "zebra cichlids") but I'm not exactly sure on the species. It would also not be appropriate for something in the 30g range. Both would need a 55g minimum IMO as would all of the similar shaped Africans. :)

For a 30g tank, I'd suggest a South American theme with a couple schools of tetras, some cories for the bottom and a pair of Apistogrammas or Rams (Bolivians or German Blues). Curviceps cichlids are another option for that size tank as are Keyholes. I'd stick with something that stays 4 inches and under and isn't African.

If you can find some shell dwelling cichlids (which are African) then you could have some of then in a 30g, but you'd need to dedicate the tank to them. Numbers would depend on the actual type you get, as some are more aggressive than others.

I agree on all counts with Kristin. The Ice Blue (Metriaclima greshakei) gets pretty aggressive therefore requiring a larger tank. Beautiful species in person, but is very active. If you are looking for community cichlids, German Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams are also very colorful when healthy.

Fishyfanatic said:
I agree on all counts with Kristin. The Ice Blue (Metriaclima greshakei) gets pretty aggressive therefore requiring a larger tank. Beautiful species in person, but is very active. If you are looking for community cichlids, German Blue Rams and Bolivian Rams are also very colorful when healthy.

Ah yes, very beauuutiful.

I'm going to research some dwarf cichlids to see if any would be compatible with tetras, guppies and zebra danios.. if not, then I will save up money so I could buy a bigger tank that I could dedicate to strictly cichlids.

Thanks for those ideas!

Rams or Apistos would be fine tank mates for tetras, guppies and zebra danios. In a 30 gal, assuming there is room for more fish, stick with a 1 male: 2-3 female ratio.

Gillie said:
Don't forget Rams have a 1:1 ratio as they pair bond, any unpaired males or females could be harassed to death.

Yeah, I've been reading about that.

I decided on a pair(m&f) of rams.

Back
Top Bottom