African cichlid breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsoyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
İ have some yellow lab, kenyi, moori and some peacocks.

Kenyi male cichlid started digging and from the researchs i have made he is showing spawning behaviour for the last 2-3 weeks.
Hence nothing happened yet.

İ have read in one page, saying that they need a flat surface and will dig until it finds the glass. But if we put a clay pot they will use that and stop digging.
İs this true? Has anyone experienced using clay pot for african mouth breeders?

İ want to hear your experiences.
Thanks beforehand for sharing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No experience with the clay pots, but mine will typically use flat areas on the rock for breeding purposes. Very rarely do I ever see any digging done to the glass. However, I also have a ton of rockwork in my tanks, so that might be a factor. In regards to the Kenyi, in my experience, they are extremely aggressive and generally eliminate all the others, including female Kenyi even in a 100 gallon tank. I hope it goes better for you.

Hi thanks for the response, i will try to add more rocks then, there is some but tank can take more.
And, male kenyi started showing some agression to others today, currently just chasing them and then stopping.
İ have another small tank - 15gal, where i had some baby plecos waiting to grow up for the big tank.
should i put the kenyis to this tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Make sure you placed any added rock on a solid footing so they can't dig under and cause a slide. In regards to the fish, that is ultimately your choice, I can only share my own experiences with that particular fish. There may be some on here that have had success with them, I just know that personally, despite their great colors, I never had luck with them in either a community or a species specific tank.

Kenyi are super aggressive and will likely kill the Peacocks. Moori are a tropheus and shouldn't be kept with Malawi cichlids. Digging is normal behavior and doesn't indicate a spawn upcoming. Furthermore these are mouth brooders who will spawn in a short time and the female will hold the fertilized eggs in her mouth, flat surfaces are unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree. If there aren't any flat surfaces available, they'll make one. If they cant make one they'll get busy on top on the smoothest rock or decor in your tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom