Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Khalix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MS
Posts: 259
African cichlid ID

Not the best picture, I'll take one tomorrow unless this one suffices. It was snapped on the go.

I was given a 35 gallon hexagon fish tank.. with the condition I take her african cichlids... well, by the time I made it out there the remaining cichlid had killed the other. Not surprised when I got there and saw her setup.. it was on the small side anyway and since it was a hex it really left little room for territory.. plus all she had in there was a pirate skull to hide in. They also had no heater whatsoever and when I put my hand in to start siphoning water out I gasped because it was so cold.

I plan to re-home him as soon as possible. Just kind of curious to see what he may be.

__________________

__________________
Khalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Khalix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MS
Posts: 259
She doesn't look very blue in that picture because of bad lighting but browsing around she seems like maybe she's a cobalt blue from comparing pictures.
__________________

__________________
Khalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,409
Looks more like a labidochromis or maybe even melanchromis species... doesn't look much like a metriaclima species IMO. Looking at that pic almost makes me wanna say a very stressed yellow lab, but if its blue, thats not the case. Take a look at Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum and see if you see any fish that look like it.
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
spoonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
Looks like something that cross-bred with a yellow lab.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Khalix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MS
Posts: 259
Thanks for the responses guys.

She is definitely more than likely stressed, too, so there's no telling what she'll actually end up looking like. On top of all the other issues with the lack of heater and hiding spots.. she never changed her water. Ever. When I brought in my siphon and started emptying the tank she just said Ohhh so that's how you do it.
__________________
Khalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CA_BroncoFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sacramento Area
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalix View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

She is definitely more than likely stressed, too, so there's no telling what she'll actually end up looking like. On top of all the other issues with the lack of heater and hiding spots.. she never changed her water. Ever. When I brought in my siphon and started emptying the tank she just said Ohhh so that's how you do it.
When i bought a tank last year i had the same thing. I asked them when they changed the water, cleaned the filter, etc.. and they were like...we just turn the lights on and feed them Just watch out because she will likely be in shock with the new clean water.
__________________
-CHAD
"Another Fish Tank!?!?!?!?" -My Wife
CA_BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Khalix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MS
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_BroncoFan View Post
When i bought a tank last year i had the same thing. I asked them when they changed the water, cleaned the filter, etc.. and they were like...we just turn the lights on and feed them Just watch out because she will likely be in shock with the new clean water.


I actually took 4 5lb buckets with lids and filled it with the old water to try to de-stress her a little when she was put back in at home and she seems to be doing pretty well. Somehow her water was actually not bad at all.. nitrites and ammonia were 0 and nitrates were at .10ppm. She's really happy about the caves I added, though!

Not much of a better picture, but she isn't hiding as much now.

I really wish I was all moved already.. I'd set her up her own tank and just keep her. She's grown on me. PS: don't mind the decorations. kind of just stuck odds and ends in with her for now.

__________________
Khalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
WendiDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: McMinnville, Oregon
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalix View Post
Not the best picture, I'll take one tomorrow unless this one suffices. It was snapped on the go.

I was given a 35 gallon hexagon fish tank.. with the condition I take her african cichlids... well, by the time I made it out there the remaining cichlid had killed the other. Not surprised when I got there and saw her setup.. it was on the small side anyway and since it was a hex it really left little room for territory.. plus all she had in there was a pirate skull to hide in. They also had no heater whatsoever and when I put my hand in to start siphoning water out I gasped because it was so cold.

I plan to re-home him as soon as possible. Just kind of curious to see what he may be.

He is definitely a she and except for the obvious stress I have a male and female that look very much like her.
Have you heard of Red Top Cobalt Cichlids? When they are younger they are kind of a muddy charcoal color. The young males have the charcoal colored bodies with an orangie/red dorsal fin. But the females like most things in nature aren't nearly as colorful as their male counterparts.
So they tend to look brownish/grey with glimpses of that beautiful blue.
And like most Cichlids their color goes very dark to almost white depending on their moods or stress levels.
I've been told that as they mature more of the blue will show through on both.
When she is less stressed and her fins aren't so clamped, please take another picture. It would be easier to tell for sure what she is. But, I'm about 90% sure she's a Red Top.
Good luck with her. It sounds like she's had a rough start.
__________________
WendiDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
 
Wy Renegade's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,754
With all due respect, I disagree that it is definitely female. I also do not think that it is a labidochromis hybrid. I do agree that it looks like a Powder Blue or Pseudotropheus socolofi, could be either male or female based on the 2nd picture, and was definitely stressed (hence the appearance of the vertical bar striping) in the first picture.
__________________
the Bog

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Khalix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MS
Posts: 259
I actually rehomed him with a girl who keeps only cichlids and she named him as a socolofi on first sight. I'm quite ignorant when it comes to most cichlids, but I'm trying to learn to differentiate them.

Thank you for the responses.
__________________

__________________
Khalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
african, african cichlid, cichlid, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
African Cichlid sweetness8t5 Cichlid Discussion 14 06-20-2007 04:20 PM
Transforming South Am. Cichlid into an African Cichlid? goalorientation Cichlid Discussion 18 06-15-2006 04:39 AM
Name the African Cichlid Fishyfanatic Cichlid Discussion 4 12-29-2005 08:59 PM
African Cichlid Fishyfanatic Cichlid Discussion 7 06-29-2005 05:26 PM
My African Cichlid ReefRaff Cichlid Discussion 4 05-25-2003 09:16 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.