African Cichlid ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are these yellow tailed acei? I was told they were, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• image-843710111.jpg
    image-843710111.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2005071631.jpg
    image-2005071631.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2590288988.jpg
    image-2590288988.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 101
It means she has eggs in her mouth. If she is holding, she was pregnant with eggs days or weeks ago. If they were fertilized during spawning, she will hold them in her mouth for about 1 month, during which time she will not eat. You may see your female hang around the the heater during this time;interestingly it has been shown that development of the fry is sped up the warmer the water gets. Newbie females may eat/swallow the eggs whether viable or not.

When the fry's yolk sac is just about gone, the female will spit them out and that is it; the level of fry development when the female spits will depend on the species and other factors. The fry will then fend for themselves. If left in the tank they may get eaten by the parents or other fish.

Check out this link for more info:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/mouthbrooders.php

Hope this helps.

It means she has eggs in her mouth. If she is holding, she was pregnant with eggs days or weeks ago. If they were fertilized during spawning, she will hold them in her mouth for about 1 month, during which time she will not eat. You may see your female hang around the the heater during this time;interestingly it has been shown that development of the fry is sped up the warmer the water gets. Newbie females may eat/swallow the eggs whether viable or not.

When the fry's yolk sac is just about gone, the female will spit them out and that is it; the level of fry development when the female spits will depend on the species and other factors. The fry will then fend for themselves. If left in the tank they may get eaten by the parents or other fish.

Check out this link for more info:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/mouthbrooders.php

Hope this helps.

I'll keep a lookout for her. When should I take her out?

Back
Top Bottom