African cichlid ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and ladies. Help me confirm my ID of my new fish. They look like red empress's and male. What do you think?

Attachments

• image-3495432515.jpg
    image-3495432515.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2357715507.jpg
    image-2357715507.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-938105657.jpg
    image-938105657.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 64
Protomelas taeniolatus
That's a profile for red empress, and I'm no African cichlid expert, but those do not look like red empress to me. In fact, I'm going to wager a guess that these aren't Malawi cichlids at all, but Victorians. I don't have enough experience with Victorians to ID them for you, but I'll keep looking and see what I can come up with. :)

Protomelas taeniolatus That's a profile for red empress, and I'm no African cichlid expert, but those do not look like red empress to me. In fact, I'm going to wager a guess that these aren't Malawi cichlids at all, but Victorians. I don't have enough experience with Victorians to ID them for you, but I'll keep looking and see what I can come up with. :)

Defiantly Victorian hap. Very similar looking to my ruby greens

image-3761278902.jpg

Protomelas taeniolatus That's a profile for red empress, and I'm no African cichlid expert, but those do not look like red empress to me. In fact, I'm going to wager a guess that these aren't Malawi cichlids at all, but Victorians. I don't have enough experience with Victorians to ID them for you, but I'll keep looking and see what I can come up with. :)

Thanks. Let me know if you find anything. I'll keep doing my research as well.

Kyoga flame back is what I'm going with. You could have two females and that's why the colors aren't showing or the male is just suppressing them. It's hard to tell sex without colors

Kyoga flame back is what I'm going with. You could have two females and that's why the colors aren't showing or the male is just suppressing them. It's hard to tell sex without colors

They just got brought home. At the store one of the two had really nice colors. I thought it was a male and female. Thanks I think your right.

Back
Top Bottom