African Cichlid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would I be able to keep Pseudo Demasoni, which get to be about 3in but very aggressive, with less aggressive mbuna? Such as Yellow Lab and Acei, which get to be about 5 in. I really want to have the Demasoni because of their sharp vibrant colors and have been told they have alot of personality. Plus, I've seen them at the lfs. Any African Cichlids experts out there? Thank you

I wouldn't call myself an expert but I've been working with African's for about 8 months now. I also have a yellow lab and would not put them in a tank with very agressive fish. Currently there is an Auratus in our tank with the yellow lab which makes me nervous, but by nature, the yellow lab will not be as agressive. Monitor them closely if you plan to mix them, but I would not advise it.

No, the demasoni is not as aggressive as an auratus, but you probably ought to limit it to one if you have anything under a 75gal - this is a matter of opinion, however. They are a "dwarf" species with tons of personality and fabulous color. I know lots of people who keep them with yellow labs in larger tanks, though I have not kept them myself. They are very high on my list of "must haves" though. They are prone to bloat, like many mbuna, so a high quality veggie-based diet is important.

Travis Simonson has some, as do some other AA members, so hopefully they'll pipe up!

If you are going to get demasoni then you are going to need alot of rock/caves for him. I agree only one in anything smaller than a 75 gal.
Since the Lab's and the Acei are relativly tame species your Demasoni will probably run the tank. You will need at least 3 or 4 Acei since they like to school. They are a beautiful fish, it should make for a nice tank.

I didn't mean that the demasoni was as agressive as the Auratus, I was just pointing out that the Yellow Lab's are not an agressive Cichlid. Sorry if it caused any confusion.

I just wpuldnt do it Yellow Labs and Acies are the nicest mbuna out their and they might get beeaten up and strseed out in a big tank with lots of rock it might be ok-Big meaning above 80gal but of course this isj uts my opinion. Try a Cobalt Zebra they are a beautiful color and not nearly as aggressive.

JMHO

Thanks for the info, I have a 55 gal that I will stock with lots of rocks. These are the fish I have chosen for now. I will definitely only keep 1 demasoni. Guess no chance of breeding them. I will go with 4 acei. I didn't know they schooled. That's awesome. 3 yellow labs. 2 synodontis catfish. Any other suggestions? Do the synodontis eat algae or will I have to get 1 pleco for that? I would like to add one more species of Mbuna. Perhaps 3 pseudo socolofi? Would that work?

I dont know about a syadmous catfish eating algea so i guess i would get a pleco. I think the solcofi should do fine- just watch it all closley and have a ocuple of qt tanks and some nets on hand-oh BTW the syndomous catfish will eat lots of the fry juts incase u wanted to sell the fry or something..

JMHO

Good point about the syno and the fry - unless you pull the holding mother and have her release her fry in a nursery tank. A dwarf pleco or two, like a bristlenose, would be a fine addition.

The only suggestion I have, which may or may not be important, is that it is hard to sex labs, especially when they are juvies at the LFS, so you may want to get a few more than 3 so that you will hopefully wind up with more females than males, just to keep the peace. I think your tank can accommodate them.

Ok , I guess I won't be having any fry. Won't the cichlids defend their fry from others? Do you guys have any other suggestions for inhabitants? I looked at the cobalt blue zebra and they looked very nice. So it's between the cobalt blue and socolofi since they have almost the same coloring. Whichever I find in the lfs. I may go with more than 3 yellow labs. So stocking right now is:

4 acei
4 yellow labs
1 demasoni
3 socolofi or cobalt blue zebra
2 synodontis catfish
1 pleco

Is 1 or 2 African leaf fish (fruitbait's profile)sold at petsmart a bad idea?

Obviously, I would add the less aggressive fish first.

I may be wrong, but I am thinking a calm quiet tank is best for the African Leaf Fish, and the mbuna tank you propose might be a bit busy and boisterous for them.

I agree tank gilr afircan leaf fish stress easy and need a tank byu themslesvs. You would proably have some fry left but not many after the syndomous catfish was done with them. Get a Smaller pleco and he wont ourgrow your tank-Royal Plecos are good size 10" and clean algea great! As long as u will overfilter your tnak i think u could have the cobalts and solofici but that is just my opinoon.

JMHO

Not a Problem

Been keeping Africans for over 20 years now and have the EXACT cobination in tanks now. No Problems !!

I have kept these fish together, but JUST ONE of them. Personally I dont think they are as mean to other fish as they are to their own kind. I have a few of them in various community all african tanks and never had any issues with them picking on my other non aggresive fish.

There are some fish that are worse to their own kinda but can be OK to others this is one of them. I will admit. ALL of my tanks have HEAVY rock cover which I feel helps on issues like this. Not a few rocks but TONS of rocks and caves !

Click on the link in my sig and that will take you where you need to go. We need more freshies on that forum! :D

I would just like to say that our demonsoni is extremely aggressive, he rules the tank and every square inch of it too! At this point we are considering trading him for a cobalt zebra thanks to the suggestion from fishlover. No matter how many caves plants etc., he took over. We have purchased a 30 gal octagon for our eel and oscar because he is scaring them( the oscar is three times his size!) Let me know how it turns out. :lol:

Welcome to AA biggmama37

Pseudotropheus Zebra (cobalts being one type), can be very agressive. I do not keep them because of that.
4 acei
4 yellow labs
1 demasoni
3 socolofi or cobalt blue zebra
2 synodontis catfish
1 pleco
I would drop one cat add 1 more acei and the 3 socolofi. The soco's don't get as big as the zebras.

No matter how many caves plants etc., he took over. We have purchased a 30 gal octagon for our eel and oscar because he is scaring them( the oscar is three times his size!)
Africans and south american cichlids should not be kept in the same tank. JMO :)

Thanks everyone for helping me decide. If anyone else has suggestions feel free. 5 schooling cichlids would look cool.

Back
Top Bottom