African cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My hubby has grown a like towards African cichlids and would like to get like 4 Now he's buying a whole new set up for his work shop for it. Would a 45 bow front be ok for 4 of them or should go a little bigger. ( my hubbys never reslly been all into but last couple trips petsmart and he like cichlids) They ones he's looking at say max size of 4-6 inches. So just looking for advise on it. And also would cycling the new tank be easy if I put my filter cartage from my 36 to new tank. Because I have a aqueon 50 on my 36 which works amazing. All my tanks are tropical I have a 125 that is cycling which will be homes to the oscar and another Oscar and the 55 will be for the Jd by him self. But my hubby has decided he wants his own tank in he own area with his own fish lol. All 3 my kiddos have tanks I guess hubby just wants see some different kinds of fish. Sorry I'm always on here asking questions and what not befor I buy things because them seem to give me bad advise at the one petsmart. I like to research and hear others thoughts about it. Thank you guys again :)

Oh wow ok. I know we won't have that many but that will deffently give him some choices. My hubby is still stuck on what kinda bottom he wants ( gravel or sand) he just walked in the door throw a folder of papers at me and said I did my research now can we go get the tank.

Here is a tank I'm getting hopefully this the decor is perfect for Africans. They like rocks to hide and sand to sift through.

African depending in which type are fairly aggressive I hope someone with more experience can help me out. You should really do research in which fish go with which.

Attachments

• image-1247757331.jpg
    image-1247757331.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 173
I like that tank. I am getting computer up now and goin to research different African cichlids and see what's going to be best for us. I just wanted make sure a 46 bow front would be big enough for a couple. Because he wants to get the tank going and started he's impatient. We just moved into our house just this month and hubby's really liking the look all the fish tanks are giving to each room.

This is my friends 72g bow... You can do more than a couple...

Keeping the tank well stocked will keep aggression down if you put 2 and ones aggressive he will kill the other everytime.

Attachments

• image-2148412321.jpg
    image-2148412321.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 213
Wow that's an awesome tank I will have to make sure he stocks well. I just was reading about that. I was also reading they don't really care for new comers I know he wants a gold nugget pleco should the pleco be the first thing in the tank before the fish? I'll have keep looking.. but I think he's gunna go with a 55 so he can house the pleco properly.

I really like your friends tank!!! Can I just have that tank lol j/k

Jbaygurl78745 said:
Wow that's an awesome tank I will have to make sure he stocks well. I just was reading about that. I was also reading they don't really care for new comers I know he wants a gold nugget pleco should the pleco be the first thing in the tank before the fish? I'll have keep looking.. but I think he's gunna go with a 55 so he can house the pleco properly.

I really like your friends tank!!! Can I just have that tank lol j/k

46g is fine but I've read only bristlenose or rubber nose do good with them. I put my goldnugget with cichlid and I know now that was a terrible idea his gold fins were shredded! And he's no small fry here he is when he healed up.

Attachments

• image-3386684898.jpg
    image-3386684898.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 153
Wow that is one beautiful pleco!!! He's prettier than the ones i've seen online. Maybe I will just make him get a rubber nose one and have the gold nugget in one the tropical tanks. I want a zebra pleco but they are like $450 I'll dream for a while lol.

How big is yours? Guy at petsmart said they only get 6 inches. That will be my next look up.

Jbaygurl78745 said:
Wow that is one beautiful pleco!!! He's prettier than the ones i've seen online. Maybe I will just make him get a rubber nose one and have the gold nugget in one the tropical tanks. I want a zebra pleco but they are like $450 I'll dream for a while lol.

How big is yours? Guy at petsmart said they only get 6 inches. That will be my next look up.

He's around 5" there is actually one that looks just like the zebra but it's not it only cost like 30 bucks the only difference is he's white with dark brown stripes I can't remember where I saw it though!

I'll have look into that and find it. Lol I love fish I'd reather have a million tanks than have dogs.

I was wondering of you know what kinda cichlid this is. My husband got it from Walmart labeled as a gourami and well I know it's not!!! I guess my 36 is going to be its new home till his new tank gets cycled

Attachments

• image-2442547189.jpg
    image-2442547189.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3851619681.jpg
    image-3851619681.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 103
A 12" fish will absolutely not fit in a 46G bow front. The measurement on those are 36x15x20. If a bow front is what he really wants you would need at least a 72g which is 48x18x22. 4' is what will be required for a cichlid 4-6".

Malawi Freak said:
A 12" fish will absolutely not fit in a 46G bow front. The measurement on those are 36x15x20. If a bow front is what he really wants you would need at least a 72g which is 48x18x22. 4' is what will be required for a cichlid 4-6".

I never said any thing about a 12 inch fish. I was just asking for advice. On what siza tank to have a few cichlids that are 4-6 inches not 12

Malawi Freak said:
Not what you said. The advice you were given in the second post was very wrong.

Oh ok just trying feel around see what I can get for him.

Back
Top Bottom