African cichlids and stinkpot turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave9365

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking about getting a stinkpot turtle to go in my 55g.
He'd be in there with 20 african's and a bristlenose.
What do you think?

I do know Andrew McFadden has a turtle in with his Africans it's a stinkpot musk turtle an if he says it's ok !!

Youre over stocked as it with 20 africans and your bristle. The water quality is going to suffer terribly.

Don't tell me I'm overstocked as it is. I have two external filters running on this thing that cycles the water 10 fold every hour and I do 50% water changes weekly. Utter rubbish

Don't tell me I'm overstocked as it is. I have two external filters running on this thing that cycles the water 10 fold every hour and I do 50% water changes weekly. Utter rubbish

I agree you should overstock a cichlid tank. But its unnecessary to attack people giving there opinion. Because that's what they are, opinions. What they were trying to say was turtles have HUGE bioloads, and with the stock you have, its not the best choice.

Hardly attacking now is it? I asked a question on wether they would be ok together so didn't need a response from someone telling me MY fish tank is overstocked. Thanks anyway tho

Hardly attacking now is it? I asked a question on wether they would be ok together so didn't need a response from someone telling me MY fish tank is overstocked. Thanks anyway tho

Truth hurts when it isnt what you want to hear. You are overstocked with 20 africans and a bristel. 55gallons isnt exactly a big tank.

You asked if they would be ok together? And i said no because you are pushing your stock already. I gave you my opinion, do with it what you please.

I'm NOT overstocked and it's got nothing to do with you even if I was. Your opinion on my stock levels means jack.

He's only overstocked if they are all adults and non mbuna species that get larger than 4" IMO. From the sound of it he is up on his pwcs and should have decent water quality. Lets try not to get off topic.

I'm NOT overstocked and it's got nothing to do with you even if I was. Your opinion on my stock levels means jack.

It has everything to do with me, im a member of the Aa, and your posting on a public forum. If you dont want comments then dont post.

Not only are you rude, youre being ignorant.
20 mbuna at 5-6inches with a bristlenose, its a 55g

Generally 4" and under are considered dwarf mbuna.

Probably in the top 5 of most overstocked tanks of all time.

Tank is overstocked as is, not extremely but defiantly overstocked. Second your tank is far to small for a turtle and fish. Andrew has a 180 gallon tank with a large sump. It doesn't matter how much filtration you put on the tank every tank has a limit

An mbuna tank should be overstocked, but 20 in a 55 is a little too much. And bn plecs have a large bioload, and adding a turtle, with a huge bioload isn't a good idea. I say no go to the turtle, and maybe think about getting rid of a few mbuna. We are all just trying to do what's best for your tank, and the fish in it, thats what the forum is for.

Nobody is on here to lie to other members to make them enjoy the hobby less. What do we have to gain from lying to you? Sure bad advice goes around here every now and then, but this isn't an instance of that. When multiple people say the same advice it's going to be true.

I'd upgrade that 55, don't you get tired of it? And yeah that is a heavily stocked tank, the turtle will put your bioload over the edge.

15-16 mbuna is already overstocking the tank, but to a good level, 20 and a bn is a bit too much, it is acceptable, as long as nothing else is added
Also, I do not keep turtles with fish because there is always the Rick of fish attacking turtle or vise versa, an I think turtles need to bee in at least a 5-6 foot tank, 4 feet is a bit too small

Back
Top Bottom