african cichlids---got 5 with pics (blurry pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heres some blurry pics.. LOL
The striped one
img_536446_0_a33bf918963f884231dcace05e9d8702.jpg

all of them together
img_536446_1_9bc6afe8328765c6ef4212fbb82e1bd4.jpg

2 blue and 2 yellow
img_536446_2_02642d1beb3f6208097a62a343744eaf.jpg

DeFeKt said:
white ones...Melanochromis auratus??
not sure.

Just one white one, but yeah that's what the adults look like... now to just figure out the blue ones.. LOL.. but there are about 4 different types of blue ones that look the same.

Ok, i was just reading about the Melanochromis auratus and it says that they can be very aggressive towards others of it's species.. so i guess its a good thing i only got one! LOL... Im not really interested in spawning any of the cichlids at this point so would an all male tank be ok? or should i try to find them females when they get bigger?

I'm thinking the blue ones maybe the blue variant of the labidochromis
ie. "Electric Blues"
couldn't say, only just dived into africans myself.

I've heard different species of Melanochromis shouldn't be kept together,
but from young i spose they'd be alright. all male is ok, and nice and colourful. but what you want to avoid is having mostly males and only a couple females as they(males) will spar for the attention.
a colony of mbuna should be mostly kept with say 2 males, 8 females or so i've been led to believe.

FYI I'll be trying E.Yellows (Lab) with Melanochromis Cyanerhabdos(like your blue ones but stripes are horizontal) I've heard good things about the mixture.
both of these will be kept in colonies of around 10.

Matt.

My Kenyi looked like (similar to) those blue ones when they were small. You may have gotten those. But I'm not sure, the pics are blurry. And like you said, several blue ones look very similar.

Be careful with the auratus. They are not only aggressive towards each other, but to other Africans. They can ripe apart fish three times their size. Since it is a juvi it is impossible to sex. But if it starts to change coloration to black, be very cautious. The males are more aggressive than the females, but caution should definately be used. Especially since they are housed with Labs. I can't help with the Blue fish because of the blurry pic. There are many africans that are blue/black and without a clear pic it will be very difficult to help determine which one it is.

Well so far they all get along great.. all schooling together and playing... I know since they are babies this is apt to change as they mature, but I will continue to watch them as they grow and keep my eye out for any aggression problems because i can promptly return any that show aggression at any time for credit to my fish store.

Oh something cute though.. Bob.. my HUGE pleco (hes almost 9 inches) doesn't even notice the little cichlids.. but they were very interested in him last night.. they'd dart by and around him and peck at him and he just sat there.. they finall got bored and left him alone... but it was cute! I hope it doesn't cause problems later on...

My rainbow shark lives in a half log and one of the cichlids tried to join him... well lets just say he let them know it was his log and they haven't bothered him since.

As for the clownloaches.. well they are twice the size of these babies but they've been schooling with them!!!

I realize that there is potential for disaster here... but I am going to play it by ear and see what happens as they grow... and if anyproblems occur.. well that's just another excuse to get a new tank for my other fish :lol:

Fishyfanatic said:
and if anyproblems occur.. well that's just another excuse to get a new tank for my other fish

That's the un-official moto for MTS. :D

LOL!!! glad you see it my way.. the excuse will be "but honey... if i don't get another tank the fish will DIE!!! you don't want to hurt an innocent animal.. do you?

Yes Ashley but then you end up like us. :D We have so many tanks to deal with that we have been seriously lacking in maintenance on the 10 and 29 gal tanks. And now we are looking into a 110 or 125 gal tank. 8O It never ends.

LOL... yeah my next tank is definetly going to be a biggie.. like at least 100 gallons or one of the smaller bowfronts (they look sooo nice) Right now i have... 5 tanks total. My 55 gallon, my 10 gallon with fish, my 10 gallon with my corn snake, a 20 gallon long with a ball python, and a 1 gallon for a betta or QT but it's empty right now. Do the snake enclosures count? LOL :lol: I'm totally addicted to this hobby... but im addicted to pets as well!

2 Labidochromis caeruleus, 2 Pseudotropheus elongatus, 1 Melanochromis auratus, 1 Nimbochromis venustus, 1 Iodotropheus sprengerae, 1 Orange mystery cichlid, 3 clown loaches, 1 sailfin pleco, 1 rainbow shark, 5 apple snails, Malaysian Trumpet snails

You got more !! love to see pics :p

Matt.

yeah.. lol, i have 8 altogether now.. but they move so fast!! all the pics are blurry.

HAHA I learnt a trick with mine, turn all the lights out, and when you get an ok focus take a shot with the flash on. they were all intrigued by the flash and ended up all coming to have a look, and managed to stay still for 2 seconds for a few nice shots.

well i dont have a camera with a flash.. just a camera phone.. LOL.. for now

Back
Top Bottom