African Fish Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcm87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just picked up a Kenvi and an Auratus. Do African like Brackish water, and do they like warmer water or cooler. This are my first africans so I want to make sure I am doing things right. Thanks for the help.

I'm pretty sure they DON'T like brackish water, and depeneding on the origins of your fish they could be cooler or warmer then others, i keep my SA cichlids at 78 degrees and they're doing fine.

They are freshwater from Lake Malawi.

I would keep the water between 75-80 with a pH around 8.

You have 2 very mean and aggressive fish there. Make sure to provide lots of rockwork.

What size tank do you have? If it's big enough I would try and put a bunch of Mbunas in there or else you'll end up with one distressed or dead fish.

I have a 20 gal, but I have a fair amount of rocks in there. We will see how things go. So far they seem happy, but I know not to put more then 4 in a 20 gal tank. Any other suggeestion would be great. Or if there is a great site on keep ing african, since this is my 1st time with them

Here's a good web page for you. http://www.cichlids.com/ I went through the same thing too because I was just getting started as well. I've had my tank for about two months now and things are OK with it. My fish are actually pretty boring. Basically, I just do the simple work; water changes every two to three weeks, feed them once a day, keep the temp up to about 81 F...i think that's about it. The only huge problem I have/had was a small ammonia problem, which I think and hope I got control of. If you go to google and type in 'cichlid' in the search form, they have tons of great web pages! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom