African or South American?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubba643

Aquarium Advice Freak
This guy was part of a 7/$20 purchase of "mixed African chiclids" It was the only one like it amongst the 40 or so fish in that tank at the store. It looks more like a South American or central chiclid to me but I figured someone might be able to tell me for sure.IMG_1265.jpgIMG_1266.JPG

Looks like a washed out Jewel cichlid, African river fish ,not lake.:facepalm:

Thanks for the reply, It's fins are more red than the photo would suggest but it's blue and green body reminds me of a Dempsey or green terror. No idea how it would end up in that tank at the store. I let my daughter pick one fish out of the seven and that was her choice. Seems to be getting along with the other guys so far at least.

I agree with coralbandit; it does look like a jewel with subdued colors. Part of the problem may be that jewels have different water parameters than rift lake cichlids: softer, more oxygenated water; lower PH; etc.
Unfortunately, if you have it in a rift lake set up, it won't be a very happy fish. It may fade away and die, it may become overly aggressive to other fish, it may be more susceptible to parasites and disease . . .
Only my opinion, but I would try to rehome it to either another tank, or someone who keeps African river cichlids.

Makes sense, I will definitely start looking for a rehoming option. I have noticed aggression increase with it over the last few weeks

I agree with coralbandit; it does look like a jewel with subdued colors. Part of the problem may be that jewels have different water parameters than rift lake cichlids: softer, more oxygenated water; lower PH; etc.
Unfortunately, if you have it in a rift lake set up, it won't be a very happy fish. It may fade away and die, it may become overly aggressive to other fish, it may be more susceptible to parasites and disease . . .
Only my opinion, but I would try to rehome it to either another tank, or someone who keeps African river cichlids.

Any issues with the other six I have together as far as temperaments or habitat needs? I'm attaching pics of them would love to have help identifying all. Please excuse the condition as per my other post I'm going through a Nitrite crisis at the moment.

50708014792__A06125E7-705E-4C47-AFD7-96432705A221.jpgIMG_1267.jpgIMG_1272.JPGIMG_1275.jpg

To me, the top pic looks like a Dragon Blood peacock; 2nd pic an Acei; 3rd pic a Demasoni; the yellow fish in 3rd pic looks like a yellow Lab; the blue barred looks like a juvenile Kenyi; the name escapes me on the last fish, but they're pretty common, so someone will know it.
The Acei, Demasoni, Yellow Lab, and Kenyi are all Mbuna cichlids; the Dragon Blood is a peacock. The general rule is to not mix Mbuna and peacocks due to behavioral differences, but many people mix them with good results. If you have plenty of caves and hides in your tank, it may work fine.
Demasoni is a dwarf Mbuna, and IMO one of the most aggressive of the African rift lake cichlids. Typically, it's a conspecific aggression, but with only one in the tank, it may become aggressive to the other fish. Most people who keep them advise having at least 10-12 together to spread aggression out. I had them a couple years ago. Started with about a dozen. Within a week, I had 7, and 6 of them had torn fins, missing scales, and in a couple cases, torn gill covers. I've heard horror story after horror story from other people who've kept them, but for every bad experience I hear about a good experience. They're beautiful fish, so if you want to try keeping them, my advice would be to get a dozen more; and good luck.

Melanochromis auratus is the yellow with horizontal lines, also fairly aggressive. Also the kenyii are aggressive! The yellow lab and acei are the least aggressive with the acei being the least of the 2. The peacock could work but also could not. This mix of aggression may have problems in the future! I have yet to own demasoni but i know for a fact that kenyii are fiesty!!! That acei already looks unhappy as they are a group fish. They like to swim back and forth in a group of 5-6 and they keep to themselves.

To me, the top pic looks like a Dragon Blood peacock; 2nd pic an Acei; 3rd pic a Demasoni; the yellow fish in 3rd pic looks like a yellow Lab; the blue barred looks like a juvenile Kenyi; the name escapes me on the last fish, but they're pretty common, so someone will know it.
The Acei, Demasoni, Yellow Lab, and Kenyi are all Mbuna cichlids; the Dragon Blood is a peacock. The general rule is to not mix Mbuna and peacocks due to behavioral differences, but many people mix them with good results. If you have plenty of caves and hides in your tank, it may work fine.
Demasoni is a dwarf Mbuna, and IMO one of the most aggressive of the African rift lake cichlids. Typically, it's a conspecific aggression, but with only one in the tank, it may become aggressive to the other fish. Most people who keep them advise having at least 10-12 together to spread aggression out. I had them a couple years ago. Started with about a dozen. Within a week, I had 7, and 6 of them had torn fins, missing scales, and in a couple cases, torn gill covers. I've heard horror story after horror story from other people who've kept them, but for every bad experience I hear about a good experience. They're beautiful fish, so if you want to try keeping them, my advice would be to get a dozen more; and good luck.

Yep you are correct that demasoni is a little punk. Thanks for all you help, I'm learning a lot. I'm going to keep these guys together at least until I get this tank cycled correctly and the ich subdued then I may hit the reset and do some additional research before stocking more. Truth be told I gave into my kids begging for fish before I normally would have added them and without doing as much research as I should have. I really appreciate the help.

Understandable. Kids and wives can exert more pressure than any job or government ever could. And have their demands more quickly met.

I had a big mixed tank of Mbuna......similar to your mix.....was there aggression, heck ya.....but either all the rocks and caves I had they all had a hiding spot to retreat to. Lots of fun to watch!

I had a big mixed tank of Mbuna......similar to your mix.....was there aggression, heck ya.....but either all the rocks and caves I had they all had a hiding spot to retreat to. Lots of fun to watch!

True, I'm going to streamline my species a bit I think. Gotta lay down some ground rules and expel at least the top 3 punks for now.

Back
Top Bottom