African Rift Lakes Documentary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I just found an incredible documentary about cichlids and the African Rift Lakes and figured I would share. I'll keep this short because I just started it but I heard great reviews about it. Its 45 minutes long and I believe it was on the science channel but I'm not positive about it.

Mutant Planet: Africa's Rift Valley Lakes
Mutant.Planet.Africas.Rift.Valley.Lakes.avi | PutLocker

I'll toss up a review after its over if I dont pass out half way through! :lol:

Review: Overall I thought it was an excellent documentary. Going into it I knew there was a lot for me to learn, but this really went deep into not only the evolution of the cichlid, but the evolution of the entire lakes themselves. One of the most interesting pieces of info that I scooped up from this documentary was the entire group of species in lake Malawi basically evolved from one species of fish (haplochromidae?) and in only 1 million years rapidly evolved from one species to over 500 different species. They get very deep into how the reprodution evolved from traditional "egg drop" to the mouth-brooding we know now. Very cool! Worth a watch if your interested in "the fastest evolving vertebrate on the planet!"

I have seen this before on the science channel. I liked it a lot, its very interesting.

kinda random how they tossed in the loose comparisons to the monkeys tho. seems like every time they jumped into the sexual behavior, they cut to a couple monkeys doin their thing LOL

BTW, sorry about the putlocker link, it was the only one I was able to find. It works great tho and it streams so no download which was a bonus

Back
Top Bottom