africans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalzrok2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
can african cichlids go in a 40 gallon? i feel like they can't, but I'm not sure

animalzrok2 said:
can african cichlids go in a 40 gallon? i feel like they can't, but I'm not sure

Depends. What kind of Africans? I think kribs, a colony of shell-dwelling cichlids, African butterfly cichlids, or perhaps a breeding group of some peacocks or mbuna, but even I'm not sure on the breeding group.

so I've been doing research and found out i could put ten small africans in there? is this true or false?

Is this a 40 gallon tall or long? And to your question the rule of thumb says for every 1 inch of fish is 1 gallon of their adult size. So if you picked out 10-4" Cichlids you hit the money. I always go by 2" and not one if its a tall aquarium, but that's probably just me

no its occupied right now but I'm upgrading the fish inside soon so I'm debating if i want to turn it into an african cichlid tank. its either that saltwater or upgrading my guppies

A 40 gallon saltwater tank is not very big. I did it t with a 30 gallon for 6 years and I was never happy with it. I couldn't fit enough fish in it that I wanted, they all just get big, maybe someday ill go back to it but right now I have an 180 gallon Malawi cichlid tank with 18 cichlids and a turtle. And about to get 9 more Cichlids in a couple weeks and I'm loving it and thats the end of my story.

Andrew McFadden said:
Is this a 40 gallon tall or long? And to your question the rule of thumb says for every 1 inch of fish is 1 gallon of their adult size. So if you picked out 10-4" Cichlids you hit the money. I always go by 2" and not one if its a tall aquarium, but that's probably just me

No no no no! The 1" per 2 gallon is completely inaccurate and outdated. By that logic your are saying I could fit a adult Oscar in a 30 gallon tank, not so much! When you are stocking you need to account for the adult size of the fish as well as the bio-load.

I would shoot for 4-6 dwarf Mbuna or peacocks for a 40 gallon.

Moved to Cichlid Discussion.

Grab a tape measure and measure the tank... if it is a 40 long (48x12) you could probably keep a group of Mbuna, depending on the species. Most recommend 55 gallons or larger but a 40 long is the same footprint so should be doable IMO.

Back
Top Bottom