Africans and phosphates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone test for phosphates? I there a need? I'm asking because my friend took his water to a chain fish store and they told him his phosphates were high. He asked me what that means as he knows I have 2 tanks. I didn't know what to say other then "are you sure they know it's freshwater?"

Never even read about this test needing to be done and it doesn't come in the kit. Just not sure what I should have said other then what I already said.

Hmmmm

Never heard of it before!

Api Liquid Test Kit is great and doesnt test for phosphates.

Dino, You dont have a phosphate problem. You clean stuff and dont over feed. You also do large weekly water changes. When your habits are good then testing phosphates is pointless IMO. If you have an algae bloom, that could be from higher phosphates. Also phosphates arent bad for fish directly at lower levels. They just cause algae. Light discapline and PWCS is key.

I bought phosphate test kit when I have algae problems. Sometimes it can fuel diatoms. I do periodically check. It may depend on your water source.

I know that my municipal water supply is high in phosphates but I've never experienced a reason to test for it. My fish all seem to be uneffected by it.
I've never experienced algae blooms either.

Back
Top Bottom