africans and south americans in the same tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneball

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was curious if i could do this? will they get along? differences in habitat?

depends on the fish. some will say yes, some will say no. its probably not a good idea to try though, they each have their own requirements, but its possible

depends on the fish. some will say yes, some will say no. its probably not a good idea to try though, they each have their own requirements, but its possible

just curious. my dad has frontosa and electric yellows and i have my kenyis and want peacocks, but we love the jack dempsys too... he wants to start trying to breed the electric blues...

i would not mix jd's with africans... had a bad experince with it once.. a friend told me it would be ok... ended up with 2 jd's and less 2 kenyi's 2 yellow labs, and 2 cobalt blues

I wouldn't just bc of the different setups they like.. For example most African Cichlids like the PH of 8+ give or take. While most South American Cichlids like it from anywhere between 5 to 7.5 .. So either way one of your fish will be happy while the other may not be...

just curious. my dad has frontosa and electric yellows and i have my kenyis and want peacocks, but we love the jack dempsys too... he wants to start trying to breed the electric blues...

How long have the frontosa and yellows been together? They require a completely different diet. The frontosa is a meat eater and the labs are algae grazers.

I would never put a fat eating machine like a Jack Dempsey in with mbuna... You could get away with the larger Haps, like Venustus and JD's together.

How long have the frontosa and yellows been together? They require a completely different diet. The frontosa is a meat eater and the labs are algae grazers.

Almost a year now. He always has cucumber slices in his tank, gives wafers and pellets and puts feeders in for his fronctosa ( they got big!). He raises guppies for feeder fry for those. The yellows had fry too but they hide really well and the frontosa seem to leave them alone

I have a tank stocked with red jewels and some mbuna and a single jack dempsey, i keep the ph around 7.5 and they all do quite well, theyve been in the same tank for 4 years. As far as the JD being agressive, i raised mine from adolescence with the other fish and he hasnt been aggressive at all, nor have i lost any fish. I just made sure to give him plenty of caves to claim as his own, and he is the least aggressive fish in the tank as long as his cave is safe.

Again, there is always exception to the rule! I am a big believer in introducing everyone as juveniles, or at least at the same time.

Nooo, I just have a 75 with mbuna right now, Yellow Labs, Red Zebras, Kenyis, and Greshakei... The built in 280 gallon Frontosa tank is planned for the future, at which point I plan on doing Fronts, a couple of Peacocks/Aulonocara, and tranferring the Labs to that tank and turning the 75 into a sump, probably.

ive had my jds and melanocromis species together in the same tank for a while with only one loss, and it was my melanochromis auratus to bloat, then i started to feed the more fit food.

It is not a question of if their personalities are compatable that is not the issue. Their water requirements could not be more opposite. Africans like hard alkayline water SA cichlids like soft acidic water. So I say no they are not compatable for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom