Africans/Central/South Amer. & Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a question brought up by my 10 year old grandson, Casey.
I had no real answer for him :confused:, so I said it was a science thing.
A very lame response, I know. So I'm hoping someone here can answer his question.

Casey asked me this after I told him that our Mbunas and our Angelfish are both in the Cichlid family.
His eyes got real big and his mouth tight, like I was teasing him , and he said, :mad: "How can they be in the same family, grandma? They are nothing alike. Who said they are?
It got me wondering about it too.

Does anyone know what makes a Cichlid, a Cichlid? And how something like an Angelfish can be in the same family as the Mbunas, or the Central/South American Cichlid?
The African Cichlids and the Central/South American Cichlids, have some obvious commonalities. But Angelfish, I just don't see it. Neither does Casey.

I would love to give Casey a real answer to his fish question. I'm so happy he is a part of this with me and cares enough to even ask. But if I can't answer his questions he will loose interest.
Thank you in advance for helping not look lame in the eyes of a 10 year old. He should be at least 14 or 15 before he thinks that.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom