Africans in a 42G or 55G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Smell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I may convert one of my tanks to African cichlids when I move. I already have some synos for the tank but I wondered on suitability to the tank sizes listed above. The 42 would be preferred and is long rather than high. The 55 is wide front to back, tallish, but not that 'long' I think it's 100cm (nearly 40"). I think I'd prefer Tanganyika but am open to suggestions on types and stocking levels. I don't really want pairs...

Bear in mind that I freely admit I know nothing about Africans apart from the west African Jewels, Kribs etc

My Americans will be split between a 130G and a newly ordered 175G so I will free up my smaller tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would really need all the estimated dimensions.

Tanganyikans are definitely more interesting than malawians IMO. Especially since you are planning to downgrade from new world cichlids :)

Would really need all the estimated dimensions.

Tanganyikans are definitely more interesting than malawians IMO. Especially since you are planning to downgrade from new world cichlids :)

I love this! My feelings exactly.:lol:

I love this! My feelings exactly.:lol:

Ha! :)

My feelings too in the end. I've solved the issue my buying a very pretty Midas cichlid which the store will keep for me until I'm ready for it. They had a few in the 5 - 9 inch range, it's unusual to find one for sale to be honest so I've reserved one of about 6" with great colours. That will take up the 55 gallon on its own. Might even have to upgrade long term especially if it's a male but I should be ok for a while maybe for ever.

Nice. I was considering ordering a red devil till I found the lionsi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not certain on that because in truth I've seen very few around to get familiar with them. The origins are unknown as I think they were bought in by customers for obvious reasons.

I was looking at the difference between red devil and the true Midas yesterday and I don't think they were Red Devils as they didn't have the thicker lips.

They had 4 of them, all on their own in separate tanks. One had a chewed up dorsal fin so he was out, one didn't look a great specimen either, but it was a tough choice between the other two, a monster at 9" plus which apparently had bitten one of the staff and the one I chose, a 6 incher, mainly yellow/orange but with some marbled type markings with white on the rear flanks and in my opinion the best looking one.

I'm not all that bothered though, I wanted a badass fish to go single in that tank, and something that was already upwards of 6" so it fitted the bill very well. It's rare to see anything around like that especially Midas types so I snapped it up. I'll get photos once I have it set up.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416770524.111728.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416770549.169071.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416770566.298647.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416770566.298647.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416770566.298647.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom