Africans in a community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know people say not to mix African cichlids with south or Central American cichlids but I have convicts and a firemouth with Aceis, yellow labs, and blue zebras and the all get along fine

I think it's okay as long as they can hold their own.

Another thing a person should consider is the difference in temperatures that each fish requires. The OP has all fish that are all in an acceptable temperature range that would be compatible as far as african cichlids are concerned, but I would worry mostly about the social compatibility, especially with the gouramis. African cichlids are aggressive enough towards their own kind, I could only imagine the trouble they would start up with the gouramis and their long feelers. If I thought my opaline gourami could get along with my blue zebras (all juvenile), I'd put them together from the get go. The thing is, is that I don't trust my zebras to leave his feelers alone. So I'd rather stay on the safe side. Sure, you could try to pick out the least aggressive in the bunch, but it's not like they're going to tell you that they will be nice. lol
You could always get another tank established and do all African cichlids. ;)

I don't understand why people worry so much about high pH for Africans... Most are tank raised, unless you're getting really crazy named wild caught ones, I wouldn't screw with pH. I agree that the Africans shouldn't go in with the community fish as well

I don't understand why people worry so much about high pH for Africans... Most are tank raised, unless you're getting really crazy named wild caught ones, I wouldn't screw with pH. I agree that the Africans shouldn't go in with the community fish as well

I agree keeping a Stable ph is more important. Mines at 7.6 which is a little low.

Here is the thing about ph yes fish can get used to a stable but low ph but it doesn't mean they are happy in it

Here is the thing about ph yes fish can get used to a stable but low ph but it doesn't mean they are happy in it

Please explain a happy fish. If a fish is eating, swimming fine and disease free then it is happy IMO. I know people with Africans in 7.0 pH and they breed... A stable pH is much better than messing with it. Tank raised fish can live in a wide variety of pH. Wild caught, all for the native pH but tank raised don't mess with your pH.

I have found they swim more and show better colors at their natural ph. That being said I understand your argument but if you read any book or look up any article nobody recommends low ph below 7.8 just like they say not to mix with SA.... Yes all can be done but it's not recommended

Please explain a happy fish. If a fish is eating, swimming fine and disease free then it is happy IMO. I know people with Africans in 7.0 pH and they breed... A stable pH is much better than messing with it. Tank raised fish can live in a wide variety of pH. Wild caught, all for the native pH but tank raised don't mess with your pH.

And yes a stable ph is always better lowering or raising drastically will kill fish fast

I have found they swim more and show better colors at their natural ph. That being said I understand your argument but if you read any book or look up any article nobody recommends low ph below 7.8 just like they say not to mix with SA.... Yes all can be done but it's not recommended

I disagree, the aquarium world has changed so much with so many species now bred in captivity. A lot of books are outdated

I disagree, the aquarium world has changed so much with so many species now bred in captivity. A lot of books are outdated

Than we are just going to disagree because while you say outdated I have yet to read in a credible source where they recommend 7.5 or below

This is true to a point, but like anything there are exceptions. Some Africans will breed at 7.0 (or below), but rift lake eggs tend to not be viable lower than 7.6+ IME so breeding is not reproducing. I do agree that (at least for me), breeding is a key indicator. Fish can survive a lot of conditions, but thriving can be a totally different story. Again, I agree. Stability is more vital than a specific target by large measure. There are gray areas however. (That's one of the most interesting thing in the hobby to me). For instance, our tap is 6.4 - 6.6 tops. If we didn't buffer, there's no way we would be able to keep rift lake fish, much less have 3 females holding and multiple grow out tanks running. Also, let's not forget that the term "African cichlid" can be misleading. Most people are referring to rift fish. There are also cichlids from Africa that require soft water conditions however.

Your p.h is way to high you want it between 7.0 -7.4 to high will stress your fish

Back
Top Bottom