Africans in a community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently set up a new 65 gallon aquarium, with African cichlid substrate, lots of holy rock and so on. I moved my fish from my 55g into it a
Parrot fish
Severum
2gouramis
2 tiger barbs
Sailfin pleco

I want to add Africans because that was the goal at first. And I've already spent so much money on making the tank suitable for Africans, I am just afraid it won't work out because of the species mix. The ph is 7.6, I am slowly increasing it and everyone is happy.

Instead of telling me how wrong this could be, please give me some insight on what to do because I am very interested in the popping colors of african cichlids and want them a lot.

First you have to up the number of tiger barbs to at least 6. What type of gouramis ? The only things I'm worried about with the Africans is the gouramis and the severum. The gouramis won't stand a chance and I know sevs are very peaceful fish, I don't know if they can hold their own.

First you have to up the number of tiger barbs to at least 6. What type of gouramis ? The only things I'm worried about with the Africans is the gouramis and the severum. The gouramis won't stand a chance and I know sevs are very peaceful fish, I don't know if they can hold their own.

I knew someone would mention the barbs. I had 6 or 7 and over a 3 year period they died off for various reasons. And the gouramis. Are opaline gouramis

I can get rid of the 2 barbs and give them to my lfs. Same thing with one of the gouramis. But the other one was bought by a friend a while back and was put in the tanks without my knowledge. So it was missing an eye, it was obviously from Petco, and the lfs will not take a fish with a missing eye

African and SA/CA cichlids are not compatible with one another. Nor are they compatible with the gourami or barbs. If you want Africans, I'd recommend rehoming your current stock.

African and SA/CA cichlids are not compatible with one another. Nor are they compatible with the gourami or barbs. If you want Africans, I'd recommend rehoming your current stock.

As I said above I cannot rehome one of the gouramis

Then I wouldn't recommend you add any africans. Pretty simple equation.

Then I wouldn't recommend you add any africans. Pretty simple equation.

Sorry. He's exactly right even though its not the answer you want, he's right. If you can't find a taker for the gourami and add Africans you're only guaranteeing it a slow miserable death and I doubt you want that.

First I will start by saying Africans shouldn't be mixed with non Africans that being said. Your ph needs to be at least 7.8 I myself keep it at 8.0 and here leis your biggest problem can our current stock adjust maybe or maybe the high ph will slowly stress them out eventually kill them. So let's say the adapt for arguments sake mbuna would be out the picture except for yellow labs and even they may just murder everything they can. Mbuna are either aggressive or super aggressive. Next are haps and peacocks of the two peacocks are less aggressive but still aggressive they love to test boundaries maybe getting some peacocks has fry they might just get used to your barbs and other guys so in conclusion can it work maybe in 11 years or so I kept fish as a hobby I found fish all have there own personality but chances are if you put Africans they will murder all your current fish one by one or they maybe won't if you get peacocks but they might murder them anyway. Can it work yes but your chances are slim at best

I can get rid of the 2 barbs and give them to my lfs. Same thing with one of the gouramis. But the other one was bought by a friend a while back and was put in the tanks without my knowledge. So it was missing an eye, it was obviously from Petco, and the lfs will not take a fish with a missing eye

So I myself don't do slim chances and the poor blind gourami would be the first one murdered. If you want to do Africans give away your current stock and of the LFS won't take the gourami their is humane ways to put down the poor blind gourami some ways include freezing water other ways include vinegar or blunt force because if your going with Africans at least this way he can go painless I can't remember the exact method but I am sure some here does

So I myself don't do slim chances and the poor blind gourami would be the first one murdered. If you want to do Africans give away your current stock and of the LFS won't take the gourami their is humane ways to put down the poor blind gourami some ways include freezing water other ways include vinegar or blunt force because if your going with Africans at least this way he can go painless I can't remember the exact method but I am sure some here does

Sorry I would never put down a fish because of my well being and happiness. Rather let it live it's life then me be happy with Africans

Reactions: HN1
Sorry I would never put down a fish because of my well being and happiness. Rather let it live it's life then me be happy with Africans

I wouldn't but you wanted to know if Africans can be tank mates with a community tank I hoped I answers all your questions and why guys so no right away

I have kept a altolamprologus compressiceps with south americans (severum, geo, keyhole, jack) for about a year now. It dosent bother anyone. My pH is around 7.5. I know everyone thinks that NO AFRICANS can be with anything else. But I disagree, some aficans can coexist. I wouldnt do malawi, or victoria lake cichlid but iIthink some tanganiyka can work. As long as your pH is really low. The alto comp eats great, has very nice colors, grows VERY slow, and just chills under his favorite rock.

Yes I said chances are slim and not impossible but your keeping one of the river Africans if I am not mistaken but he asked if he could put many africans and even yours is just a nice guy. What I am saying is it can happen but you would have to hope you have a nice guy and there is no way of knowing that. Now any Africans that's a different question you can go clown knifes and many cats that would be fine

As far as I know they are from lake tanganyika. I wasnt trying to mislead anyone, just giving me experience. A community with all sorts of africans and community fish wont work. But I think there is africans that could coexist in ceritan kinds of commnities. My next tank is going to be large SA and more gentle africans. I am thinking geos, severum, fronts, and alto. I know it is always risky, but I dont like boxing people in with telling them they cant try something that isnt 100% garunteed to work. I like pushing the boundries.

As far as I know they are from lake tanganyika. I wasnt trying to mislead anyone, just giving me experience. A community with all sorts of africans and community fish wont work. But I think there is africans that could coexist in ceritan kinds of commnities. My next tank is going to be large SA and more gentle africans. I am thinking geos, severum, fronts, and alto. I know it is always risky, but I dont like boxing people in with telling them they cant try something that isnt 100% garunteed to work. I like pushing the boundries.

And that was my warning can it be done maybe some guys read the text book some guys push boundaries but you lose fish pushing boundaries

I know people say not to mix African cichlids with south or Central American cichlids but I have convicts and a firemouth with Aceis, yellow labs, and blue zebras and the all get along fine

I know people say not to mix African cichlids with south or Central American cichlids but I have convicts and a firemouth with Aceis, yellow labs, and blue zebras and the all get along fine

Yep my Malawi get on fine with my jack Dempsey no issues at all :)

All those can hold their own. gouramis are not aggressive

Back
Top Bottom