Agassizii?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satchel_Paige

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally got the agassizi harem I've been waiting for my lfs to get and have got them all in my 55 gallon. Now that I've got them in there though I'm having the debate on whether or not I should put them in my 29 gallon. I'd like them to breed, if for nothing else than to see the behavior or if I get lucky to sell the babies back to my lfs and make some of the money I've put into these tanks back. Both of my tanks are heavily planted with driftwood and a lot of rock caves. I was going to use the 29 as a shrimp tank but after seeing the apistos getting aggravated at my zebra loaches whenever they act like loaches and forget about personal space. The only other fish in the 55 gallon are two pearl gourami, rummynose tetra and two plecos. The 29 only has 4 otos. Both tanks have sponge filters as well as ac-70s. The 55 also has an ac-50 to help with the messy plecos and loaches. Any and all help would be appreciated as I'm hoping to have happy healthy agassizi and am willing to switch the tanks as needed. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry I thought I'd put apistogramma at the front. 4 of those guys

Are you sure you have a harem(1m&3f)?
If you are not certain you may want to keep them in the 55 and see for sure?
In a 29 if one was a submissive male it would/could be killed easily by the dominate male.
Especially with little other distraction.
Otherwise breeding in 29 is ok but the harem thing doesn't always work out.

Fairly sure as the male has a deep red on his fins. I've attached the best pictures of the male and what I think (hope) are the females.

Attachments

• 1444609597496.jpg
    1444609597496.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 1444609698401.jpg
    1444609698401.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 1444609815516.jpg
    1444609815516.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 66
I can't see the pic right now, but a 29 will not have enough space to house 3 possibly spawning females without a bloodbath. The general rule of thumb is 1 sq foot of territory per female with good sight breaks between the territories.
Big thumbs up on the multiple females, I always have to warn people against pairs with aggies.

Ok perfect. I'll relocate the loaches instead then. Thank you for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom