Aggression problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guychiclid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I have a 46 gal bow front tank stocked with 9 different Africans (can't remember the name of each specie), a Texas, JD and pleco.

All the fish are considerably small, 3"-3.5". They all lived together happily up until a week ago. Two of my Africans started changing colors (IMO it's growth signs) and all the fish just went psycho. They're hunting each other down, I lost a peacock two days ago and they still seem extremely aggressive. Now I've heard about the old world new world theories but I've seen many cases in which it worked out.

Also take in consideration I don't have any other tank to serve as hospital tanks or anything.

Sorry for making it long, but I'd love some advice.

Your aggression is stemmed from two problems

1. Before you dismiss hear me out. you are mixing Africans and new worlds agreed sometimes it work but only with research. I have mixed continents and it works because I researched the types of fish I have. Peacocks will work with your JD but not your Texas. Mbunas will not work with either. Mbunas compete for the same territory your JD and Texas keep, so someone is going to die because they have different ways of dealing with territory issues. Peacock work with JD's because they are open water species. Texas will not work with anyone.

2. Your tank is two small for the mix and type of fish you have. Basically it worked up until now because they where all babies now they are growing into their personalities and establishing territories. Changing colors can be signs of growth or aggression. Aggression will not go away until you rehome some of your fish.

Texas cichlids turn into killing machines once they hit sexual maturity. He will need 55 gallons (minimum) to himself. they get to be the size of a dinner plate with a nasty attitude.

JD will be fine with some peacocks in your 46. Most often people don't realize the size of these beasts full size. Think of a standard brick and then add a tail.

With that size tank I would recommend sticking to the African and rehoming the JD and Texas. Or keep the JD or Texas and have a "wet pet".

You can possibly work with the peacocks personal fav of mine you will enjoy the colors. 45g limits how many I say 5 peacocks or 6 max

The tank is way to small for either the jack or the Texas. The Texas being a killing machine needs to be rehomed ASAP
The jack can be physcho as well but it's a coin toss

The biggest problem is the tank is too small and Texas can't be mixed with Africans

In a bigger tank 90g + your jack and your peacocks would live just fine

Back
Top Bottom