Aggressive Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniela

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a aqua one 620 tank. It is a 90L tank. I have recently added 2 blue rams 1 male 1 female 2 gold rams 1 male 1 female and a gold balloon ram. My male blue ram is constantly chasing all the other rams quite aggressively. All accept the female blue ram. I don't know what to do or if I should remove him. The tank is planted and has lots of hiding spots for the fish but it seems he is territorial about the whole tank. I purchased these fish as everything I have read says that they are not aggressive. Does anyone have any advice? ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are not usually aggressive at all
EXCEPT to each other!
Try rearranging the tank to shake up territories.
5 rams in a 20g is doable but tight!
Try adding more deco to bottom of tank.
You may need to remove some.
Are you prepared to do that if necessary?

Thanks for the response. It would have been great if my local aquarium gave me that advice when purchasing them. They said they would be fine together and that my tank was more than big enough. Obviously I am a newbie to the hobby.
I don't have another tank to move him to so I will have to find him a new home if necessary but I am hoping I won't have to he is beautiful!
Will he possibly calm down eventually? It has only been a week since I have had them.

They are not usually aggressive at all
EXCEPT to each other!
Try rearranging the tank to shake up territories.
5 rams in a 20g is doable but tight!
Try adding more deco to bottom of tank.
You may need to remove some.
Are you prepared to do that if necessary?

Not exactly true. It appears we have a M/F pair in the tank. This induces spawning behavior. Thus the reason for the "scaring away" of the other fish. Rams are on the lower scale of cichlids but, they are cichlids nonetheless. If you have a nice flat rock in the tank you may see some eggs soon.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So should I just leave them be then? I am worried that he is stressing out the other fish.

Not exactly true. It appears we have a M/F pair in the tank. This induces spawning behavior. Thus the reason for the "scaring away" of the other fish. Rams are on the lower scale of cichlids but, they are cichlids nonetheless. If you have a nice flat rock in the tank you may see some eggs soon.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
They are the calmest they will be NOW!
If they lay eggs it will be tight till the freeswimmers are eaten!
How do I know?
99907-albums14345-picture68745.jpg

Anyone want to help me out with breeding these guys?
I have two threads going with NOT ONE response!:thanks:

Wow beautiful set up. :)
What do you suggest I do? Is it harmless chasing or should I be worried about the other fish?

They are the calmest they will be NOW!
If they lay eggs it will be tight till the freeswimmers are eaten!
How do I know?

I have two threads going with NOT ONE response!:thanks:

I think you might only have 1 female.... Don't see any other ones with pink stomachs and blue speckles in the black dot

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Breeding GBR isn't hard; I've done it a ton of times. Soft water, soft lights, good food, and a flat rock. No, the hard part is keeping them alive :banghead:

OP, everything Coral Bandit said is correct. They're very peaceful, except to their own kind, until they start spawning. I got four rams with the intent of getting a pair; two of them paired off within a day (while I was in class), beat the other female to death, and exiled the other male to the upper corner of the tank.

I think you might only have 1 female.... Don't see any other ones with pink stomachs and blue speckles in the black dot

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

^^^ correct way to sex of its a female.

To the OP, if they haven't layed eggs yet it's only going to get worse.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Wow beautiful set up. :)
What do you suggest I do? Is it harmless chasing or should I be worried about the other fish?

I would watch closely.
You will have to be the judge of harmless or dangerous.
I have 16-20 in the 40b pictured above and when there are eggs(almost always) pairs can be very tight.Once the eggs are gone they do calm down some.
If the other fish hide constantly or can't feed then something should be done.:popcorn:

Rockyofhockey _/.\_
:facepalm:
The females are all guarding their territory!
There are16-20 in 40b since last November.
I have pairs separated also.:thanks:

Breeding GBR isn't hard; I've done it a ton of times. Soft water, soft lights, good food, and a flat rock. No, the hard part is keeping them alive :banghead:

OP, everything Coral Bandit said is correct. They're very peaceful, except to their own kind, until they start spawning.
That's the truth and I'm sticking too it!:cool:

I would watch closely.
You will have to be the judge of harmless or dangerous.
I have 16-20 in the 40b pictured above and when there are eggs(almost always) pairs can be very tight.Once the eggs are gone they do calm down some.
If the other fish hide constantly or can't feed then something should be done.:popcorn:

They all feed ok and are never hiding much as they get chased out all of the time.

Sounds like you're doing as well as you can.
Just keep an eye on them and in case you forgot......
Enjoy!
I love these fish,just not the headache they cause me!

Back
Top Bottom