Aggressive blue zebra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

De45

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I inherited a 24 gallon tank with 2 yellow labs and one blue zebra cichlid or so I was informed. Originally I wanted a community tank but was talked into keeping the cichlids with the view of buying more. I have since on the shop owners advice bought 1 aulunocara male, plus 1 pair F1 aulunocara Hai Reefs, the female of which was pregnant on purchasing. I also purchased 2 Neolamprologus Bricardis. That was 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I bought. Pair of Albino Cichlids. The zebra keeps chasing just about everything in the tank and can get very aggressive. I have been told it is. Female, but I am not sure. The anal fin seems rounded rather than pointed. What is the best way to stop this aggression. I have done water changes on each purchase and also moved the rock formation around in the tank each time. Can you please advise. :brows:

Hi Andy, thank for your quick response, unfortunately I don't have anywherevtovput a larger tank and had to go for the size I have. There are a lot of rocks in th and with hiding places. Wpuld i b etter if i purchsed more rocks and to build the rocks up as high as possible in the back of the tank leaving the front are clear.

Thanks de

I just do South American Cichlids, but even I can see your going to have trouble with a tank that size with its current stock. Definite rethink is in order for stocking. Dwarf cichlids like SA Apistogramma's would have been better or I have read a few posts on African shell dwellers for your size of tank.
Did the person in the store ask what size of tank and current stocking was before selling you the fish?

Yes they knew wht size and the fish I had but were quite willing to sell me more. Typical. The only think I can think of is keep it for a hole and then sell on the fish and get either a community Tank, which I wanted originally, or perhaps the SA Cichlids as you say. The other reason I had cichlids is because the tank was set u p for it and it meant redoing the whole tank out with gravel and different rock. I am now regretting it and don't want to come back from holiday with a tank of dead fish

You could probably keep the same set up for African shell dweller, hopefully someone else will come in about them. Other than that you could do a small number of Apistogramma or a Ram or two mixed with other dither fish like Tetra. I would also change fish supplier, hopefully some other sellers close by who can balance sales with the welfare of the fish better.

Thanks for our reply, unfortunately we have two small aquatic shops around here and they are much the same.

Just rehome the one or ones that are giving you problems. The labs would do fine in that tank by them selves, and maybe depending on the aggression levels of the others you may be able to keep imo. I just wouldn't buy anymore and re home the trouble makers.

Yes I was thinking that myself. Sorry what do you mean by keep IMO.

Normally in a tank that small you would only keep one species. So in your case the labs I know will work but being mixed may not. So I would just re home like I said and hopefully you won't have to get rid of all.

Back
Top Bottom