Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aggressive German Blue Ram

Okay, I was not expecting this. On Saturday I bought two German Blue Rams from Big Al's for my aquarium. They look to be somewhere around three months old and I believe they're both females, although I intended to get a male and female for breeding purposes. One of the rams was a little nippy towards the other ram on the first day but nothing too bad. Now, though? Its only gotten so much worse. Now, anytime she see the other ram she charges towards her and nips her (a lot of the time in the head) and sometimes she does repeated nips, pushing the ram into something or down to the floor. The poor fish now has nip marks on her head. The aggressive ram has also now started chasing and nipping my cory catfish. I researched these guys before getting them and all I ever really read was that they were good, peaceful community fish. So any advice? I'm getting really fed up. I'd like to exchange the aggressive guy for a different ram, but I don't suppose Big Al's would do that, right? It's stressing me out watching her attack anything and everything in the tank. There's no peace for the calm, peaceful fish.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi and welcome. What size tank do you have these fish in?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990 View Post
Hi and welcome. What size tank do you have these fish in?
Thanks for the welcome. And sorry, I meant to put that in the OP. Currently I've got them in a 20g tank with three cory cats. Looking to upgrade to at least a 30g in the next couple of months.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would highly suggest returning one and getting a female. I heard keeping 2 females together is never a good idea. Also make sure she has a lot of hiding spots.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pckerfreak44 View Post
I would highly suggest returning one and getting a female. I heard keeping 2 females together is never a good idea. Also make sure she has a lot of hiding spots.
Okay. Well, now the more passive ram has started to take a stand some of the time. She seems to have staked out the left corner and now anytime the aggressive ram comes near it they have a stare down usually ending with someone charging the other. She's also started to nip the catfish as well. What do I do? I really just want to take them both back because I think if I return the original aggressive one the other ram will retain her new found aggression and continue to nip at the other fish in the tank. Do fish stores normally let you exchange live fish?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some fish stores do. If you got a warrantee on them you can return them and get ur money back.
If you get rid of one of them, the other one should calm down if you get her a mate.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Most likely alot of the problem is the tank being too small. They also do better in heavily planted tanks because they can find places to retreat to if there is serious aggression. Plus plants, driftwood, decorations break up the line of sight which also tends to help lower aggression. Each ram wants to stake a territory. Now since they tend to inhibit the lower tank region and so do the cory's... well with there not being enough room they are being aggressive with everything down on thier level. I got all my rams (!!) from Oddball fish because they will send pairs or whatever number of males or female you request.

Tags
aggressive, blue, blue ram, german blue ram, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com