Aggressive OB Peacocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've kind of got this little theory (well, more like a hypothesis), that OB Peacocks are a little more aggressive than most other Peacocks.

To be completely honest, I've only ever had two, that's why I'm really interested to see what other peoples' experiences have been. The first was a yellow OB Peacock who turned out to be really aggressive. The owner of the fish farm I had bought it at was kind enough to let me exchange it for another OB, this one being red, white, and blue (I call him Uncle Sam lol). He gets along well with the other Peacocks in my 55G, but if I had to name anyone as the tank bully, it would certainly be him. He's never actually done any damage to any of his tankmates (thankfully), but he's certainly a little more on the mean side than any of the other Peacocks I have (he occasionally chases fish away from his proximity, a behavior that I seldom see in my other Peacocks).

So reading online about OB's, I saw that they were initially created by crossing a Peacock with an OB Mbuna (The OB Peacock), and I was wondering if perhaps some of the aggression I've seen exhibited in my OB Peacocks may come from the fact that they have a bit of Mbuna character. Of course, it could also be that I just so happened to get two OB Peacocks who were a little more on the aggressive side. Any thoughts on this? Anyone had similar experiences with OB Peacocks? I had another fish farmer tell me that he thinks he's noticed the same thing, but he didn't seem too sure.

Oh and when I say a little more aggressive, I really mean just that, a little more aggressive, I'm not trying to argue that OB Peacocks are aggressive cichlids.

There's a reason that most Malawi cichlids are recommended to be stocked with 1m/4f's as this helps reduce aggression. I have 15 OB's stocked like this with absolutely zero aggression.

HUKIT said:
There's a reason that most Malawi cichlids are recommended to be stocked with 1m/4f's as this helps reduce aggression. I have 15 OB's stocked like this with absolutely zero aggression.

Interesting. So based off of what you've seen (and 15 OB's is certainly a sizable amount ), OB Peacocks are no more aggressive relative to other Peacocks in a mixed sex environment.

Maybe that kind of slightly heightened aggression that I've seen appears only in All-male tanks, where all the fish would be at least a bit more aggressive than if they were in a mixed sex environment.

Has anyone else kept OB Peacocks in an All-Male Peacock display tank? If so, have you noticed them to be more aggressive, relative to your other peacocks?

Back
Top Bottom