Agressive Jewel Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purcased a Jewel Cichlid and needed to make some adjustments. Everyone was very helpful with their comments. She is in a 20 gallon tank at the moment and wil be upgraded to the 37 gallon that I have waiting for her. She is the only fish in there. Loves the bottom and to hide in the various ornaments in the tank. The plan was to get some barbs that would occupy the upper regions of the tank. But here is the situation...

Her tank started growing a bit of algae. So I figured I would try a small group of algae eaters to help keep things under control and to watch her reaction to new fish in the tank.

While they were in the bag getting adjusted to the water she was very interested and was poking at the bag. I set let the free in the tank and she followed them around a bit but they were to quick for her. She eventually settled down and left them alone..until the lights turned off.

As soon as it was dark she turned into an agressive hunter. She would herd them to the corners and then chase them straight up forcing them to jump to get out of the way. I waited a little bit to see if she would settle but she wasnt slowing down, so I collected up the little guys and moved them to the other tank.

Anyone know if this aggression is because she has claimed that whole tank as her own? Eventually she will be moved to the bigger tank where I plan to have the barbs already established. Will this new territory along with parts that are already claimed lead to a more peaceful existance?

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

hmm im not quite sure what could cause that. i have a male jewel cichlid in my 75 with convicts a blood parrot and a jack dempsey. i also have a rainbow shark as my scavenger bottom feeder and my jewel doesnt mess with it at all. what type of algae eater did you introduce? maybe try something a little bigger like a plecostumus of some type. you could also remove her introduce the algae eaters reaarange the tank a bit then add her back in to simulate a new enviorment she hasnt laid claim to.

I am basically going to try what you suggested second with a new environment. She is in my 20 gallon for now and will be moved up to the 37 when I have the school of barbs. Should be this week (Yay). the algae eaters I got were supposed to be the Siamese variety but after getting them home and their colors developing I believe they are Chinese. Might need to make adjustments if they get aggressive and lazy in their adulthood.

The only time I've seen aggression like that is when they've laid eggs. Even though she's by herself, she might still lay them. Take a look on rocks, wood, any flat-ish surface.
I had a mated pair and no matter the size of the pleco, they killed it. I eventually gave up on having an algae eater and adjusted the lights to keep algae down.
Good luck!

She has the greatest personality of any fish I have known. When I come home from work she comes out from hiding and looks at me excitedly, almost like a dog. She can be doing whatever but if I come up to the side of the tank now she comes over and flares up real big showing off the highlights on the tips of her fins. She is growing really quickly. Will she take on the breeding color in time? Or stay in the colors she is now?

Aww. Thats kind of sad but she is still very pretty. Colors are still getting more and more vibrant.

Back
Top Bottom