Ailing Yellow Lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, maybe it's not ailing. All I know is that I have not seen it eat in several days. Now, I've been in the business long enough to see when a fish is ill and dying: listing to one side, strange color/behavior, looking "drunk," bloated, spots, ragged fins etc. This one does not have any those symptoms. When it's feeding time, the Lab hides. I have seen food float right in front if it and it ignores it. Usually every fish I have is voracious at feeding time. I'm half wondering if it is brooding young. I can't get a clear look in it's mouth to see. Everyone else in the tank is healthy and I have not lost any lately. Any suggestions?

Sounds like it is most likely brooding. Thats the only time a healthy African ignores food IMO. However, IME they will generally swim up when the food hits the water and just do not partake. Check her mouth closely, if it looks "puffy" she is most likely brooding.

I dunno. It's been a week or so now and it still has not eaten. I can't see any fry in it's mouth. It just hides when I put the food in. Otherwise it's out and being social. It still is not acting sick. Now sure what I should do or be looking for.

My larger females (2+ ") won't have 'the bulge' till the eggs hatch and the babies start growing. Also, my female ice blue will be out and about and will hide at feeding time, so ur fish could be holding. Give her another week and maybe her throat will puff.

Lady_Alia said:
My larger females (2+ ") won't have 'the bulge' till the eggs hatch and the babies start growing. Also, my female ice blue will be out and about and will hide at feeding time, so ur fish could be holding. Give her another week and maybe her throat will puff.

How long does it take from laying of the eggs until she lets them go? It's probably been two weeks since "she" has eaten. "She" is beginning to look a little lethargic, but is still more active than a fish that is dying. She definitely doesn't like any people to look at her. She goes way behind plants or decor, even laying up against them until we go out of view. "She's" at least 2" Are the eggs clearly visible if one can get a peek in the mouth?

yea sounds like my female lab thats currently holding. same demeanor, same lack of reaction, hiding behind plants, etc.

I haven't gotten a peak at her mouth to find out if i can see the eggs or not.

NyteGTI said:
yea sounds like my female lab thats currently holding. same demeanor, same lack of reaction, hiding behind plants, etc.

I haven't gotten a peak at her mouth to find out if i can see the eggs or not.

Let us know what the outcome is, please.

jasadell said:
How long does it take from laying of the eggs until she lets them go? It's probably been two weeks since "she" has eaten. "She" is beginning to look a little lethargic, but is still more active than a fish that is dying. She definitely doesn't like any people to look at her. She goes way behind plants or decor, even laying up against them until we go out of view. "She's" at least 2" Are the eggs clearly visible if one can get a peek in the mouth?

IME yellow labs tend to hold them a little longer, 4-5 weeks. I've never been able to look in and see eggs, I've always known by their demeanor.
It really sound like you have a holding female, but just keep an eye on it. If you're really worried about it you can force her mouth open and take a look...but you run a chance of her spitting or eating them. Depends on how worried you are about her. GOOD LUCK!

So she wouldn't even come out of her cave last night. I couldn't get a glimpse into her mouth at all. she floats facing up and just sits there behind some plants when she is out of her cave.

NyteGTI said:
So she wouldn't even come out of her cave last night. I couldn't get a glimpse into her mouth at all. she floats facing up and just sits there behind some plants when she is out of her cave.

Exactly! Mine has the same behavior; even "resting" against decor, tank wall, or plants. When people are not nearby "she" comes out now and then and swims around and looks quite normal. Silly question, but I assume they cannot eat during this time? Several weeks without eating seems like a long time.

OK NyteGTI, I'll post the results (whatever they may be) as soon as there is anything to report.

they don't eat & if they do it's very little. min will rest anywhere she can, she's probably tired from carrying the eggs/fry and not being able to eat. i squirted(turkey baster) some water with flakes in it near her trying to get her to come out & she wasn't interested at all

jasadell said:
Rats... My lab died. I checked it out a bit more. Looks like it probably had Cichlid Bloat. *sigh*

Ugh! Sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing one of our fishie friends.

Back
Top Bottom