Air Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking at setting up a 10g fry tank for my African cichlids so that when the time comes I have somewhere to put them. I am just wondering if anyone can recommend an airpump that is relatively quiet and reliable that I can use for the sponge filter in this tank.

I have a Alita air pump for my fish room which is nearly silent but recently switched over to Supreme pumps do to downsizing, here is a link. The AP-3 would be a great quiet pump for your application. I've been using these for nearly a year now with quiet powerful movement.

Supreme High Volume Air Pumps

The other place to look is Petsmart they offer the same pumps only with their case for nearly the same price if your looking local. Here is their link.

Aquarium Pump » Top Fin® Air Pump AIR 1000| PetSmart

brandonv26 said:
I am looking at setting up a 10g fry tank for my African cichlids so that when the time comes I have somewhere to put them. I am just wondering if anyone can recommend an airpump that is relatively quiet and reliable that I can use for the sponge filter in this tank.

I can personally vouch for the q1 fluval air pump. Quiet, cheap and effective.

is there a certain rule of thumb when picking an air pump for a sponger filter? like when picking a filter you generally wanna turn the water over X amount of times per hour, does it kinda work the same with this? a certain cu.in/min of air flow?

brandonv26 said:
is there a certain rule of thumb when picking an air pump for a sponger filter? like when picking a filter you generally wanna turn the water over X amount of times per hour, does it kinda work the same with this? a certain cu.in/min of air flow?

You don't need to worry about specs with a sponge filter. As long as air is flowing and creating the suction, as well as disrupting the surface, you'll be fine.

If anything it's likely your air pump will have too much flow, so try not to get anything too large for the tank.

I've got 6 hydro 3 sponges running on the single q1 fluval.

For a single sponge filter in a 10g tank it doesn't matter, unless your running multiple sponges or deep tanks then the ratings would need to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom