Algae all over my aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

franci19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a display tank in my living room , it's suppose to have a clean look to the living room but this month a black algae started to grow on the rocks and it looks really ugly , like I don't mind it but since it in my living it has to go , my last water change I try scrubbing them off in my bath tub but now it's still growing again , any way on how to remove it for good ? or will I just have to buy new rocks , and yeah I know it's good for the fish tank but I'm pretty sure my filters are already doing a good job

I had that same black algae stuff... it was a bear to clean off of decor and plants and my pleco wasn't eating it. But I added some nerite snails and they seem to just vacuum it up.

I'm controlling mine by just taking it out and giving it a good rinse and hand scrub in dechlorinated water. It doesn't get everything off, but I like the aged look and it doesn't look messy. I'm waiting until after the holidays to get a Lemon Bristlenose Pleco, who should keep things well cleaned. Try getting a small Pleco, and don't sweat a little algae, it looks natural and a bit is good for balance. Just control for excessive overgrowth. My tank is also in my LR.

I'm controlling mine by just taking it out and giving it a good rinse and hand scrub in dechlorinated water. It doesn't get everything off, but I like the aged look and it doesn't look messy. I'm waiting until after the holidays to get a Lemon Bristlenose Pleco, who should keep things well cleaned. Try getting a small Pleco, and don't sweat a little algae, it looks natural and a bit is good for balance. Just control for excessive overgrowth. My tank is also in my LR.

I wish I could get a pleco but my cichlid don't mess with others but there kind I had try it before , they'll bully it till it dies

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to look into why it's happening rather than what you can add to band aid it. What's you lighting specs and schedule? Tank size/dimensions

You need to look into why it's happening rather than what you can add to band aid it. What's you lighting specs and schedule? Tank size/dimensions

I have fluval sky light and it's on from 7 am till like 10 pm it's it's on a 60 gallon

Thats a very long photoperiod. I would dial back your timer to 8 hrs and manually fight it.

I wouldn't do more than 12 hours, 10 would be even better IMO. If that doesn't help, then there's another issue that needs to be addressed and can be done so once this is ruled out

I wouldn't do more than 12 hours, 10 would be even better IMO. If that doesn't help, then there's another issue that needs to be addressed and can be done so once this is ruled out

What else you think could've caused this either then the light

Light nutrients and co2 have to be balanced. Light is the deciding factor.

I get that. So whats left

Nutrients and light
We know your at 12hrs.
We know thats too long

So whats left.
Fish feeding
And maintenance

Idk what a Bruh is. But I would assume that a disrespectful comment. I was only trying to help. If you are trying say im an idiot. Im not one with algae problem.

I get that. So whats left

Nutrients and light
We know your at 12hrs.
We know thats too long

So whats left.
Fish feeding
And maintenance

Idk what a Bruh is. But I would assume that a disrespectful comment. I was only trying to help. If you are trying say im an idiot. Im not one with algae problem.

I'm sorry it's just like saying brother but my maintenance is very good , I also have 4 filter , filtering the fish tank which is a sump , canister and 2 70 gallon aqua clear hang on

I really believe get your light down to 8 hrs for now it will help. Manually attack it as well. A picture would help to so we can see how bad it is.

I really believe get your light down to 8 hrs for now it will help. Manually attack it as well. A picture would help to so we can see how bad it is.

Image1481835159.061709.jpg
The white thinks is just substrate from being move around by the cichlid

Image1481835294.718399.jpg
I'm gonna try to put a pleco in there

This is black hair or brush algae. It is caused by too much nutrients. I had this in my 150 gallon tank and it was smothering my live plants. I switched to LEDs and added lots more plants. Fast growing plants will deplete the nutrients used by the algae. Also, don't forget to make large water changes every week.

Back
Top Bottom