Algae + cichlids= ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARon9501

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today I bought some algae rounds for my pleco. As soon as I put the rounds inside the pleco didn't even notice them. Lol. But instead all my cichlids swam to the algae rounds and all gobbled it up. I wanted to know if that is safe for them. And btw they are not starving, they get fed 2 times a day. They are all mostly around 6-10 months old

They are fine for them to eat(read the ingredients since there is very little amounts of vegetation) I feed mine NLS wafers and it's like a watching a rugby match with everyone taking it from each other.

Depends in your cichlids, but guessing ok for all as long as it's not their main diet. I have 2 tanks if herbivores and one omnivore. Both require algae and spirulina ( sp) as they dint digest high protien diets bc that's not how their bodies are designed ( for lack of better words) once a week I do skinned peas or frozen lettuce or green beans.

yep, they'll be fine.

best food for your pleco is slices of blanched zucchini fastened to a rock with a rubber band. They love it. also make sure you have some wood in your tank as they need some wood in their diet.

IvanMike said:
yep, they'll be fine.

best food for your pleco is slices of blanched zucchini fastened to a rock with a rubber band. They love it. also make sure you have some wood in your tank as they need some wood in their diet.

Yea I have fed my pleco zucchini before and he loved it. He sucked on it all day. and yes i also do have driftwood/wood in my tank. Thanks for that info, I never new about the wood.

Bl80 said:
Depends in your cichlids, but guessing ok for all as long as it's not their main diet. I have 2 tanks if herbivores and one omnivore. Both require algae and spirulina ( sp) as they dint digest high protien diets bc that's not how their bodies are designed ( for lack of better words) once a week I do skinned peas or frozen lettuce or green beans.

Oh yes, it's definatly not their main diet, I feed them from Hikari pellets to Tetramin Pro flakes to frozen bloodworms <---(twice every week.)

The types of cichlids i have are 3 Africans 1 EBJD, 2 green terors and 1EB johhani and 1 angelfish if you consider him a cichlid.

Oh yes, it's definatly not their main diet, I feed them from Hikari pellets to Tetramin Pro flakes to frozen bloodworms <---(twice every week.)

The types of cichlids i have are 3 Africans 1 EBJD, 2 green terors and 1EB johhani and 1 angelfish if you consider him a cichlid.

Do you have your Angelfish in the same tank as your other Cichlids?

Yes I do. Is that bad?

UUUMMMM YA! Angelfish and African Cichlids together is a BIG NO-NO :nono:.
Other than both being Cichlids, they have nothing in common. They come from different lakes and different countries with very different water.

African Cichlids need hard alkalin water with a pH of 7.8-8.6 and KH of 10-15.

Your Angels need soft acidic water with a pH of 5.8-7.0 and a KH of 1-5.

That's just to start with, they are completely incompatible. They will fight each other to the death and with the teeth that Africans have your Angels will die a horrible death.
You need to separate them ASAP, PLEASE.
You can see here what kind of teeth we are talking about.

Attachments

• Cichlid Teeth its how they do such damage.jpg
    Cichlid Teeth its how they do such damage.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 627
  • TEETH of the Wolf Cichlid.jpg
    TEETH of the Wolf Cichlid.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,061

the JD and green terrors also shouldnt be in that tank

the JD and green terrors also shouldnt be in that tank
Sorry I missed the Jack Dempsey and Green terrors. I kind of freaked at the idea of an Angelfish being in there at all and missed the other's. But your correct, they shouldn't be in there either. Although they will survive a little longer than the lone Angelfish. He needs to be out of there fast or he's fish food.
In truth, if my tank had so many incompatible fish, I'd re-home them all and them do more research to find out what fish do work together. And decide if I want an African Cichlid tank or a Central/South American Cichlid tank. Then slowly start adding the compatible fish. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom