algae eater with cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wiz561

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I was hoping that somebody could recommend an algae eater I can put in with cichlids. I have some plastic plants where the algae is starting to grow on. I *hate* cleaning the plants and the only really way I found it to soak them in diluted bleach, which I hate doing because of the chemicals....

I know that there is a cichlid bottom feeder, but I think it's like 20 bucks. I don't really want to spend that much on one, so I was hoping somebody could recommend a cheaper one to me. I was thinking a piccassmos <sp?>, but I'm not sure how well that would work with cichlids.

Thanks!
Mike

plecostomus work great with cichlids but they do create a lot of waste. what kinds of cichlids do you have? you might be able too keep one of the smaller less messy plecos. also what size of tank do you have as most plecos do get rather large.

*nods and agrees with e-cat*

Knowing what size tank is important. Certain plecos are really good algae eaters, but most can get upwards of 2 feet long. The bristlenose pleco gets to be about 5 inches or so. What sort of cichlids don you have? Really territorial aggressive ones can harass a plec to death, especially if you start with one kinda small.

I have many cichlids and have found a pleco or two work very well. A neat looking pleco is the sarlowella. also I've seen and purchased the cichlid bottom feeder (the name I can't recall right now) for <5 dollars. Algae will still appear on your plants but not as much. Do you do your water changes weekly, this alone makes a big difference :wink:

do you have a pic of this sarlowella? i know of a farlowella but no sarlowella.
what do you guys mean by the cichlid bottom feeder? i have had lots of cichlid that will eat off of the bottom but have never seen or heard of a cichlid called the cichlid bottom feeder, do you have a scientific name for this fish?

tank size

I have a 29 gallon tank and I have 3 small (about 2-3" long) bright orange cichlids (for the name...if anybody can help, please tell me!), and one medium (about 5") johanni. The 3 small bring orange ones are rather nice and peaceful, but unfortunately, the johanni is rather aggressive and constantly chases the orange ones around. i would like to get rid of the johanni because it's been trouble ever since day 1, but don't know what to do with it... I think I might make another thread on about it. I have about 5 to 6 plastic plants, a broken clay pot, and a lava rock with three holes in it. Just today, I put in two more lava rock slate type things and re-arranged everything (again). It seems like the johanni loves to chase my 3 orange fish around the tank until they hide up at the top by the filter output tube or by the heater. I also just put two air stone strips in as well yesterday. Wow...just typing to you, the janni was chasing the orange ones around and they jumped out of the tank and hit the hood. Crazy stuff... i feel bad for the orange ones!

Thanks in advance...
Mike

you could try and see if an lfs will take your johanni, since you say the other cichlids are bright orange im guessing that there africans, in which my help here is done because african are the one type of cichlids that iv never cared much for and havent bothered too study and research them, some one that knows about africans will come along and help you out, all i know is that they like hard water and plecos come from the amazon and like soft water.

*nods and agrees with e-cat AND Allivymar*

A pleco is a great idea, and they usually seem to avoid the wrath of even aggressive cichlids since they are a different shape, and fulfill a different role in the tank entirely (no competition). E.g. I've even seen plecos and oscars kept together in stores...

The Farlowella (Farlowella gracilis), if that's what you are typing about MT79 isn't a pleco, but it is a catfish species. A very neat one! I've often thought about buying a couple, but they do grow to an impressive 8 inches (though they stay thin as a twig!).

pic of fish

Hmmm, not really. The picture of the fish you posted looks like it has a flatter bottom, where as mine has a more regular fish-like look to them. It looks the the mouth and eyes are a little higher on mine.

Back
Top Bottom