Algae. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amoman3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have this green algae growing on all my rocks and I've started noticing this white fuzzy stuff growing from my sand. I've done several water changes and used some chemical algae remover but it seems to be just getting worse. Anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of it.

image-3270743609.jpg

A log of people would die to have that green algae in there cichlid tanks. I assume because of the rock work your going to be doing african, ( nice setup by the way) they will eat it and keep it trimmed back for you. Adding a pleco will help aswell. As for the white stuff I don't see it in the picture to tell what it is

The chemicals are not recommended just because it will destroy current algae but doesn't prevent it from coming back. Also it's a chemical being thrown into a fish environment with is not natural. How long are you keeping the light on? Light is a huge component as well as temperature to algae growth. Light should only be kept on a maximum of 5-8 hours a day. If water too warm algae will grow.

Feeding less will also cut down on algae. I think the algae looks good on the rocks, but to each their own. You could remove them and clean it off by hand.

High nitrates promote algal growth. Make sure the nitrites are kept below 20 ppm and limit the time the lights are on (~8 - 10 hrs).

By the way, I have trouble getting algae to grow in my tank; high pH and low Nitrates. I have seen beautiful hair algae in some Discus tanks but the pH is about 7.

Back
Top Bottom