Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aligator gar care

Hi there,
I've bought some alligator gar for my self.
They are around 5inches.
Can anyone recommend what food should I be feeding them to get nice growth on them.
And one more thing, please try to give me a estimated time it will take them to grow around 10 inches with the food you will suggest?

Thanx for reading my treads and Your comment is always appreciated.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If it truly is a alligator gar it has no place in the home aquarium. I don't care how large a tank you own it's not large enough. I've personally caught alligator gar over six feet in Louisiana, with the fish easily reaching the 10' range and weighing over 300lbs. Do what you will but there are certain fish I'd live to own but there are certain fish that we should not try to keep.

Alligator Gar

Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking it may be one of the smaller Gar that get 2-4' if so you will still need a huge tank, pictures would help. If it is intact a true alligator Gar then like HUKIT said you shouldn't be keeping it in any kind of aquarium/ pond.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could it be a rocket Gar? Or a spotted marble Gar? Take a picture if possible please?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

So far I know they are true alligator gar. Sorry but all tees fish that I buy it's my business to buy and sell fish. Some fish I will sell it straight away and some fish I keep it for few month to grow them to a size I can ask for good money. I haveore then 60 fish right now and they all are American cichlids apart from buttikoferi. I personally own 5 tiger oscars and rest is my business.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlidsheaven
So far I know they are true alligator gar. Sorry but all tees fish that I buy it's my business to buy and sell fish. Some fish I will sell it straight away and some fish I keep it for few month to grow them to a size I can ask for good money. I haveore then 60 fish right now and they all are American cichlids apart from buttikoferi. I personally own 5 tiger oscars and rest is my business.
Well then sell them to a zoo or something. Or a big aquarium like the Georgia or tennessee aquarium... They aren't pets.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry guys. I've just spoken to the guy who imported them he said it's not a true gar so( i hold my hands up) it's some kind of spotted gar but his not sure which on cos he can't remember which one he sold to me till he doesn't see the file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-458792684.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	38860  
Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Regardless of what they are.... just because you can make a buck off them doesn't mean you should. Please be hobby responsible and avoid fish that should be left alone in the wild.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1
Regardless of what they are.... just because you can make a buck off them doesn't mean you should. Please be hobby responsible and avoid fish that should be left alone in the wild.
Thanx for your advice but sorry to say this I live in Uk and if these fish are not for aquarium then the government won't allow these kind of fish in the country cos our lake and rivers are freezing cold. So running a aquatic business means making money on any fish that is allowed to keep in a aquarium in Uk and not cos USA doesn't allow!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #10

Then ship em to the US. They just don't belong in an aquarium. Take it from us in the US that've seen them in the wild... They just don't belong.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com