All grown up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoor3773

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know there will be different time limits depending on each individual fish and type, but on average how long does it take the average Malawi cichlid to reach adult hood?

From tiny newly-spat 1cm fry to maxed-out full grown adult, several years. Not a precise answer, I know.

The time it takes for mbuna's to attain full grown size depends on variables (species, water quality, diet, genetics, tank volume, etc).

Give or take they'll typically attain 'adult size' at about the 2.5-3yr mark (age from birth, not from when you got them). Subsequent growth continues to the limits of the species but growth rate is reduced.

Sexual maturity occurs sooner. I've had female juvies still in a grow out tank mouthbrood fry only 10 months after being born themselves.

Cheers for answering. How old do you think they are when they are in the shop. Excluding the tail they are about an inch long.

When I have babies they get that size in a couple of months. Just depends on how much food they are able to get. More food when small they grow faster.

Back
Top Bottom