Alternative to Cichlid stones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there,
Just wondering if anybody knew a possibly cheaper alternative to the cichlid stone. Creative ideas are welcome :)
I've heard people using styrofoam and a cement coating.
Ideas/what are you using/ ?
:D

Well, I could have went and got it. Another member here got it and I gave him some stuff in exchange for his labor. You can pick out all sorts of shapes and sizes to make what you want. I had rock stacked up about 3/4 of the way to the top of my 150g.

Hmm. My primary "want" is for some decent hiding spaces for my fish. But I guess the rock gives you all the capabilities to do so.

I'm going for either kribensis or blue rams.
Also a pair of striped Raphael catfish.

I used flagstone which I got from the local landscape store. .24 cents a pound. Cheap and looks good IMO.

Attachments

• image-2679800347.jpg
    image-2679800347.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 157
That looks great!
Unfortunately for me I have little space to work with. I need to think a little smaller, hence the cichlid stones.

I've seen some of those in others' tanks. Looks pretty good, won't mess with my parameters at all?

I've also heard of some people using large PVC elbows to make caves. You can glue some substrate on the top to make them blend in a bit more.

Nope, I've used them before. Just have to make sure and clean them first. The PVC is also a good idea I've seen that works well.

Liking the substrate method.
My tank is gravel but I'm hoping to upgrade in size and use sand in that one. Definitely will keep that in mind.

This is mine. Im prob gonna change it up soon but this is it at the moment.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110810_223144.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110810_223144.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 400
Back
Top Bottom