Am I pushing it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know everyone has opinions on overstocking etc so I figured I would open myself for criticism. I have a 55g BF and my friend who owns a LFS and has account all over Westchester and NY said I could get away with 25 Africans because of the filters and water changes and the fact that my OCD requires me to test water up to 3x a day.

Your thoughts. And please be gently.

View attachment 61349

OasisKeeper said:
You may get away with it for a short while with enough water changes. What will happen when your attention turns to other things?

I understand what your saying. To give some back ground on me. Bad OCD an bi-polar so when I put my all into something I go all out for the entire time. So my attention is the fish and there health. I'm of course family is first but I have a set day set aside for my regular water changes and if need be for an emergency water change I'll do it. I think I can handle it and so did my friend who gave me all the fish from his store.

I am however speaking with the wife about getting a bigger tank. At least a 75 BF. It would be nice if she would let me get the 125g with stand and matching hood that's free from a friend and co worker. But she already thinks the 55 is huge. But all that's in another thread.

wait free 125? huh? TAKE IT & give to me :)

but to answer your ?? you CAN get away with 20ish africans in this tank. im thinking 25 might be a bit too much especially if you've got some Haps in there. what type were you looking at to make up the rest. I forgot how many do you have now? 15?

NyteGTI said:
wait free 125? huh? TAKE IT & give to me :)

but to answer your ?? you CAN get away with 20ish africans in this tank. im thinking 25 might be a bit too much especially if you've got some Haps in there. what type were you looking at to make up the rest. I forgot how many do you have now? 15?

I've added more Africans since last. So now I'm at 25 with 1 upside down cat fish, just because it's cool to watch this thing upside down all day lol. And yeah FREE!! 125 gallon with stand and matching hood! He doesn't want it and we've been friends and he use to work with me. He offered tank/stand/penguin 400 and a heater. But wife says NO WAY!!

I think that would be one of those rare occasions when hubby came home the tank would be up and running.....at that point what's he gonna do? Drain it? Naaaa, it would be mine!! *evil laugh* muahh haaa haaaaa

One of my buddies told me that it's not bad to have a cichlid tank overstocked because it spreads out the aggression, and if you over filter it then it should fine.

That's just what I heard at least :p

With 25 fish and all those deco's, the fish are probably going to be very crowded. You may want to clear up some space when they grow to adult size so they can move around the tank. It's beautiful and all, but IMO just doesn't seem like much room to swim.

My 55g Malawi tank is going to have 15 fish when they are adults and I still feel like that's pushing it. Just my two cents. :)

steez said:
With 25 fish and all those deco's, the fish are probably going to be very crowded. You may want to clear up some space when they grow to adult size so they can move around the tank. It's beautiful and all, but IMO just doesn't seem like much room to swim.

My 55g Malawi tank is going to have 15 fish when they are adults and I still feel like that's pushing it. Just my two cents. :)

Gotcha... Just picked up a 75g at that petland sale! 1.00 a gallon! I'm pumped! Just waiting for the stand to come next week. So is a 75g good for all my fish? Not gonna add anymore just keep my crew.

haha you pulled the trigger! thats 3 different tanks in a matter of months :)

25 Mbuna/peacocks should do fine in a 75, just make sure to keep the front of the tank clear for swimming lanes:fish1:

NyteGTI said:
haha you pulled the trigger! thats 3 different tanks in a matter of months :)

25 Mbuna/peacocks should do fine in a 75, just make sure to keep the front of the tank clear for swimming lanes:fish1:

Yeah! LoL lock and load an went for it!! Yeah I'm gonna do some Cichlid rock caves on the on the back and corners stacking them. My real drift wood and the big fake plant to hide the filters. Then some of my fake low laying plants and leave the rest open for them to have fun. I hope they enjoy it. I think it will look nice like that and like you said they will have the front open as well as some of the back of the tank as well. I'm gonna tone down on the decor, I know it looks killer but I think for the fish it's best if I leave some stuff out. Maybe laying on the gravel my hiding logs. They seem to like them. I'll figure it. I'll post pictures and we can see what needs to be changed if anything. Hopefully by next week!! Stand is ordered.

Is it time for an oscar? ;)

Anywho, I know what OCD is like, I have it myself. I always try to make my spelling and spacing and everything correct on here. I often find my self testing 3-5x a day when setting up a new tank, and 1-2 times a week on other tanks. I do 25% PWC's twice a week too.

Anywho (again!), 25 seems like to much to me. I'm more of a S/C American guy, but I think, like others have said before me, maybe 15 or so. I was going to set up my 55g with Africans and I have 680 gph and do two water changes a week an I was told 15 max.

Overstocking is fine with proper PWC Its just when the power goes out...Gotta generator? or at least a straw and whisk...;)

nextgeneration40 said:
Overstocking is fine with proper PWC Its just when the power goes out...Gotta generator? or at least a straw and whisk...;)

I have 2 APC's one it's plugged into and one on stand-by. But.... I'm the fire chief so if I did lose power I think I'd be well taken care of as well as my fish ;)

KonvictKeeper said:
Is it time for an oscar? ;)

Anywho, I know what OCD is like, I have it myself. I always try to make my spelling and spacing and everything correct on here. I often find my self testing 3-5x a day when setting up a new tank, and 1-2 times a week on other tanks. I do 25% PWC's twice a week too.

Anywho (again!), 25 seems like to much to me. I'm more of a S/C American guy, but I think, like others have said before me, maybe 15 or so. I was going to set up my 55g with Africans and I have 680 gph and do two water changes a week an I was told 15 max.

Yeah OCD is tough but good at the same time. Like you I'm always on top of things. So I'm testing and doing water changes all the time 20-25% at the most now unless water conditions call for larger. I enjoy the Africans, the colors and the way they act in the tank, there just fun to watch. I wouldn't add anymore with the 75g, although some have said I could. I think 25 is plenty.

I got my 125 set up free :) it was taking too much room up and my neighbors wife wanted it out :) now he gets to visit it set up and enjoy it with out the work lol. Post pix of the 75 when you get it going!!

I will... I'm going to start a new thread soon of my 75 gallon build. Just waiting for a few more things to come in.

Back
Top Bottom