Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

American Cichlid Stocking Suggestions

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a new 5ft x 2ft x 2ft aquarium and can't decide on stock. Just after a few suggestions or ideas. I like Red Devils, Jaguars and Super Green Texas. Would I be asking for trouble trying too keep all three together? Or can anyone suggest a combination that might be suitable?

Thanks,
Tim.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pick your favorite cichlid of the 3 you listed and get 8-12 juveniles and grow them out until you get a pair, sell the rest. Otherwise, none of those fish are community fish so they'd be best kept alone in that size tank if you're not interested in breeding.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I believe the Jaguars get very big but i don't have personal experience with them. Probably limited to what you could put with it in that size tank. My tank is custom made 74 x 17 x 24 and i wouldn't put a Jaguar in.
Don't have experience with Red Devils either but apparently are very aggressive. I do have a Texas in mine with a Dempsey, Rivulatus and various others, but my Texas is the Blue one which i understand to be a little smaller and easier going than the one you are talking about.

Fron the experience i have generally with Cichlids, i would say if you got the Texas and Red Devil as juvies (as i have), you would probably be ok. Maybe put some silver dollars and large pleco / catfish with them also. You can never be certain though, but thats the fun with these type of fish. As long as you make changes if it goes wrong i don't see a problem trying it.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks guys!

I've heard conflicting stories when it comes the size of adult jags. Some websites say jags grow to 14inches while others suggest much larger. Either way, its off the list. Thanks again for the suggestion fishy smell.

Tags
american, cichlid, ich, stock, stocking, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com