American cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exeori

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a 180litre well planted tank and I want some American and South American cichlids. Which ones are best suited?? Thanks

So that's roughly 47 U.S. gallons, give or take.

You can do a pair of German Blue or Gold rams, Bolivan rams, apistos of any variety, most of the Latacara species stay small enough.

Tank is too small for such aggressive species. Also they get bigger than the dwarfs I mentioned.

I love firemouths and convicts myself, I've raised and bred them, but honestly, they are fish that need to be in large tanks.

Do you think I'd be better going with Malawi? I prefer planted tanks to rocky which is why I was going more towards the American side

They are also too aggressive and get too large for that size of a tank. You're talking fish that at adult size is around 4-6 inches. The dwarfs are about 3 inches. You need to take adult size into consideration when planning a tank. Also their aggression levels. I'm sorry, but the more you pack them into a small tank, the more problems you will have with water quality, health and general them killing each other.

Any species in amatitlania (convicts), thorichthys (firemouths), or cryptoheros (convict-like) will do fine in a 180l tank. 47 gallons is a decent sized tank and can easily support fish up to 6 inches. A pair of one species of any of those species will do fine in that sized tank, along with some dithers (depending on said species).

Would a pair of convicts and a pair of fire mouths be okay together. I know they are aggressive when breeding

I honestly wouldn't suggest keeping them in that small of a tank. This is based on my experience with them both, convicts and firemouths.

Not in a tank with a footprint less than 4 feet. I'd suggest looking more into those three genera that I listed earlier, especially the latter. Cryptoheros has many awesome species that don't get enough recognition

We're talking about a pair, not a half dozen. A 47 with a single pair is more than enough

Again, based on my experience, and I should clarify, it depends on the tank footprint as well.

If it's a standard "box/rectangle" I would not suggest it. If it's a longer base but shorter height, then yes, I will agree, a pair would be fine. I've found that the larger base gives them more options for hiding (if planted and decorated appropriately) if their tankmate becomes more aggressive whereas the box/rectangle only gives them the options of up and out of the tank.

I didn't have time to clarify my point, I apologize. I have two old lady dogs that I like to keep my eyes on. :)

I would stay away from them just because the tank is planted and I assume you would like to keep it that way, some of the dwarves already listed would do fine as would a trio of most apistos you have available in your area

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want something a bit bigger than dwarf cichlids. I already have them in a smaller tank, hmmm

The problem with most American cichlids excluding discus, angels and dwarves is they are all largely substrate spawners and do a lot of excavating even if they aren't spawning so plants aren't really safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Which cichlids are best to have a planted tank?

Instead of cichlids maybe a species of climbing gourami? Most are very cichlid like in behaviour but dont destroy plants. Leopard centopoma is a an example of a beautiful species of them

Back
Top Bottom