American Cihlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willeyeam313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help! I have a 65 gallon that housed a good number 7-8 American cichlids before having to remove 2. Now my jack dempsey is going crazy trying to kill the others and mainly the convict left. I was told to add some bigger fish that could hold their own. Well one of the two that were just removed was a severum. I know severums are not known as fighters but from personal experience I know they can be tough. Any ways, i got two pretty big green severums at least 6" each and after a 100% rearrangement threw them in first. Left them in for an hour then added my convict and jack Dempsey. The mayhem began... Both of them went at these severums like it was their jobs. And these severums being about 3" bigger than both my JD and convict I thought would stand a chance. NO, I had to take them out. What should I do? Also I know this is crowded for a 65 but I have 90 gallon just waiting for a stand and it'll be set up. I need some advice...

Those fish should be in species only tanks unless you have something very large for him (like a 125 atleast which I still wouldn't recommend)

You never know with New world cichlids, I can only add smaller ones now to my Tanks and it sounds like you have the same problem, if they dont calm down soon you will need that 90 gal setup asap. It is all about balance with these guys.

Back
Top Bottom