anal fin injury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
more of the fin disappears by the day.. it's happening fast. Day before yesterday it looked like injury, bloody fin. Yesterday it moved on to his body and is now spreading. The color is gone there with white look but not much cottony look. It looks so much worse with each day. =( not alot of blood anymore. He's in with the others. I had him alone first night, put him back in after rearranged, 60% water change. you can see the progression on my other post, titled fin rot, Thank you

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130708_081419.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130708_081419.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 33
I see no streaks. He is acting lethargic, but seems to be a fighter, he looks awful =(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130708_082101.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130708_082101.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 38
  • ForumRunner_20130708_082127.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130708_082127.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 38
  • ForumRunner_20130708_082223.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130708_082223.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 35
I don't trust my thermometer. I turned the heat up a bit but hasn't moved from 76. I tried feeling with my hand, just to check. I don't think it ever got up to 80 or anything, even though I was trying. I thought that's what I was supposed to do at the time. What do I do??

my fiance going to lfs now, what should we get. Sometimes you get good adbice from them sometimes noe, please help what should we get for him

I don't trust my thermometer. I turned the heat up a bit but hasn't moved from 76. I tried feeling with my hand, just to check. I don't think it ever got up to 80 or anything, even though I was trying. I thought that's what I was supposed to do at the time. What do I do??

i use the ones that stick on the side of the tank for an estimate its usually within 1-2 degrees but not completely accurate and a digital food thermometer to check the exact temp and for water changes

thanks for the thermometer tip. My fiance just went to get meds, hopefully they suggest right thing, he doesn't have cell

he works until 9 pm, our first chance to het to lfs,his day off, one car, I hope we're not too late. It's going so fast!

I suggest the most somple approach first. Sa;t will increase your conductivity if you add it to the tank. Salt does NOT evaporate. I have used PIMAFIX for years and have NEVER had a problem. It is an all natural preparation. Remove the fisg from the tank and give a simple bath and return. Everyone has different opinions. The old timers have one set of standards that have worked for them, and still others have methods that may be different, but still just as effective. Not an argument....just advice based on a person's experiences. Warmer water kills ich as well as other pathogens incliding certain bacteria. Aerobic bacteria need air! The best thing in my opinion is a hospital tank for your sick fish until he starts to show improvement. As you mentioned you have a cycling tank. Sickness and disease in a cycling tank is a water quality problem ALWAYS unless the fish was already sick when you put it in the tank. Through stress, what was not a problem becomes a problem as the immunity of the fish is reduced. Water changes are your best bet. Just be sure to always wash your hands as a form of infection control, as well as making sure your equipment (buckets, hoses, nets etc are clean and sterilized). I have raised Discus for quite sometime, and keeping things simple has always worked for me.
D

I just rinse with hot water before I work in the aquarium. I thought the soap residue might harm them. I do the same with my supplies.

Oh, and I thank you for your help, me and my little sunshine need all we can get

I'm reading up on Columnaris, looks like it's methylene blue baths he need, possible direct application of that or hydrogen peroxide. I'm not exactly sure what med you suggested, but maracyn is not the one if it's columnaris, which seems to be, hust wanted to tell ya you're spot on, thank you

Back
Top Bottom