Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xenos

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I put a betta with an angel fish? Also how many full grown angels can I have in a 29gallon. I also currently have one discus to keep in mind. Also I purchased a "Electric Blue Lobster" which I'm assuming is a crayfish...can anyone tell me if he'll stay blue? He's molted once already. Also are they very messy? I bought him as a bottom feeder.

i'm curious as to how your lobser turns out, because i have seen them at the pet shop, and they look awsum.
i have read they like to make a mess out of plants and such though =\

i'm not sure about angel fish and bettas together =\
i think angel fish like to nip at other fish... i wonder if the betta will get picked on?
not sure though.

angel fish get around 6", so in 29g u could put 4 in there i think, assuming they were the only fish.

29 gallon, 3 angels tops. However, if 2 pair off, the may harass the other badly, possibly even killing it.

Blue crawdads will stay blue. he needs hiding places, especially for molting because he will be vulnerable during that time. leave his old shell in the tank for a couple days, they frequently eat the old shell, need the calcium to harden the new shell properly. he may dig a lot, eat/destroy live plants, harras or kill any fish small and slow enough not to get away from him.

I have no idea about the betta, or how the discus would factor in to the whole mix.

Bettas and Angels may or may not get along. They both have big fins, and may see the each other as rivals. You want to think about 10g per angel so I agree 3 is prob the limit.

Discus have diff needs then Bettas. Discus also are really schooling fish; one isn't enough for a happy discus.

My Blue lobster* is awesome. A real live wire. He has lots of hiding spots but he mostly scoots around looking for anything edible meat or veg. He is incredibly hardy.

The reason I only have one discus is that he is a rescue. Its impossible to find a discus where I live because there isn't a demand. The pet store that had him had never had a discus before and knew nothing about them. He was in a brackish aquarium with no plants and no heater. He was extremely unhealthy. I'm kind of new to aquariums but I knew brackish was wrong and the ph was probably too high. I changed the ph in my aquarium and bought a heater. He probably does need friends but like I said he is the only discus I've seen in three years. I've set up my tank with lots of plants but he doesn't hide that often, he eats very well, and seems alot happier in the proper water conditions. Finding a Discus a new home isn't like finding an angel fish a new home.

Watch out for that blue lobster!! I had one that killed all of the fish in my tank, and had my almost full-grown oscar on the run - no lie! This was a fierce little critter.

I think you can house about two angels in with that discus, but I would not try the betta unless you had a much bigger tank. My next tank is going to be at least 90 gal and will have discus. Then saltwater, then THE WORLD!

Thumbs up on the rescue; I'm surprised they are so tough to find in your area. While not as popular as angels, they are known as the kings of the aquarium and discus keepers absolutely rave about em. I can see why, they're lovely. I posted in your "sick discus" thread; have you had a chance to check out simplycichlids.com? I know there are discus specific forums just as there are angel specific; I'm just not aware of em.

I threw a few kudos your way for taking on and savin that guy; despite it not being a "perfect" discus environment, sounds like he is in a good place :)

Good to hear Xenos, good job on the rescue! Very coool of you to take on the Discus!

200 Kudos to you!

I have a friend that keeps a betta with her non-mating Angels. They get along fine. The crayfish though, will eventually be a problem for you. It will kill every fish in the tank sooner or later. You will be allright for a couple of months if it is a small one. Once it is about 3 inches or larger though, your fishes days are numbered. In the meantime though, there is alot of stress in that tank, so if your discus is unhealthy, it should be quarantined and treated to get better. Otherwise it will be crayfish food faster than you may realize... :(

Ok, you've talked me into it. I'm going to find the crayfish a new home. My friend has african cichlids in a 75gal, will the crayfish be ok with them? Or should I find someone with more of a turtle tank? The crayfish doesn't bother anyone directly, but my discus is a slow eater. He will only eat the bloodiest blood worms, so sometimes the crayfish eats all of them before the discus can decide which ones he likes. The crayfish is a pig. The angel fish will eat pellets so they don't have to compete for a meal, but the poor discus is too picky so bye bye crayfish.
I found out that you can give Discus any types of medicine that are ok for other fish. Who knew? I've got him on Maracyn and this is the third day and he is got two more days to go but he looks perfect now. He is back to adventuring. He is a slow swimmer but not the shy fish I've read about. He only hides just as often as any other fish.

:) Well actually, (depending on the type of Africans) putting the crayfish in a cichlid tank will mean a very short life for the crayfish. If the Africans are aggressive at all, they will stress the crayfish to death in no time at all with their relentless attacks, and constant bluffs. I made this mistake already myself. Depending on the sizes of the turtle and the crayfish, the turtle will be very appreciative of having that crayfish in there... :) Turtles love crayfish... :)
I have two EB crayfish now (had three :( ), and they each have their own tank. The only fish I keep with them are feeder minnows for other fish. Unfortunately, there are not alot of options for tankmates for crayfish...

What if the turtles are those little tiny baby turtles? Should I return him to the fish store and hope a crayfish hobbiest picks him up? He ate my blushing angel fish. :( I am not happy with him right now. She had perfect markings and she was my other angel's girlfriend.

Yep, back to the LFS he goes! That is an unpardonable sin. Someone will pick him up, though.

Back
Top Bottom