Angel fish issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jstanfill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My male angel has had swollen belly for awhile , tried treating with jungle fungus, which just tank green, then the petsmart folks recommend I try the API general cure , is this stuff any good and what could be wrong with my angel?
He is acting. Ok, eating well. Got some prebiotic flakes to try out , only feed little at night but it's every other night now.

Might be a good idea to slow down on the meds as long as your Angel is eating and swimming normally. The pro biotic food sounds okay. Try changing 25% of your water twice a week for a while and see how that works. Good luck.

You just tried a new kinda food. He's probably not digesting it well. Might be too thick of a food for him. Just because it's a flake don't think it ain't much. I'd put him back on what he had before. He's doing OK, so I'd stop the treatments of meds. Just try feeding him something different. And watch him here and there to see if he's pooping. Your feeding him small amounts, so your not over feeding him. He's just constipated. My thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has had swollen belly for couple of weeks , I broke the few flake up I gave him last night that was prebiotic. Almost swollen belly for middle of last month , adult male others looks fine but he has bloated belly almost

OK I've been reading on this. Alittle cause I wanta know too for my angels (just in case) what about dropsy disease? They say it's a bacteria in the tank and if a fish's immune system is not strong, if they r stressed they will get this disease. They also say if the other fish are health they won't have it but they could get it from that fish. I'd try putting him in another tank alone and treating him. Look it up and c what u think.

Dropsy is usually the "last" symptom of a bacterial infection. When a fish gets that far along, they are unlikely to eat, or swim normally and usually don't survive.

Yeah but it's only been a few weeks. Could be just the beginning and was caught sooner than other people have caught it. And the water has been being treated and changed. Which could be slowing the disease down.

When I feed them every other day he is eating fine, don't think. It's dropsy

My angel has had this bloated look before I gave him the prebiotic flakes , any other suggestions on what to do to help his stomach , heard from breeders peas can kill angels so don't want to do that , open to anything else but salt

A lot of the API meds are simply plant extracts with anti bacterial, anti fungle properties, like Melafix. I doubt if the noted API General cure would hurt your beneficial bacteria, and wouldn't stress out your fish either. Might be worth a try.

He could be taking in too much air when he eats. Maybe try foods that sink or partially sink.

So is it helping his bloated belly don't know what's wrong with him

I just read something on here about about feeding fish garlic for Ick. Well I was reading up on it and it helps with internal organs too. Helps with alot. U might wanta look it up on Google. It's interesting. Soak food in Garlic oil, I'm not done reading it but I wanted u to know about it.

Back
Top Bottom