angel fish picking at back of tank.. ready to spawn?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

two of my angels are hovering at the back of my tank by the intake tube of my filter. I don't know if they are ready to spawn or what, i don't see any breeding tubes, they are just kind of staring at the tube, and only pick at it once in a while, if i walk up to the tank they swim to the top for food like normal... are they thinking about spawning? or do they just like the current????

oh and sometimes they are picking at the heater and sometimes the uptake tube of the filter. And sometimes they swim off for a while.. so are they maybe thinking of spawning?? oh and i see their breeding tubes.. i think! they are flesh colored but they aren't sticking all the way out.. they come out a little and go back in. so i can't tell which is male/female yet. Ive read that they will start cleaning 2-3 days prior to spawning, maybe they are trying to find a good spot????

am i just imagining things? LOL
all advice appreciated

oh yeah, i have 3 angels and its just the two of them, and i saw one of them pecking on the 3rd every time he swims by them.. should i take him out? or wiat and see what happens???

id take it out. you could try puting a piece of slate at a 15 degree angle? and see which one they prefer.

take what out? and i have slate but i covered it with moss... and im not going to put something in there just for them to spawn.. they will find something if thats what they want. I just want to know if this behavior is what i think it is.

oh ok..i thought you wanted me to take out my heater.. lol. Well i don't really have anywhere to keep the 3rd angel and i really like him, i don't want to sell him back to the LFS and then have these two not spawn or something. He was actually fighting back, hes the smallest of the 3 and when the golden one pecked at him, he kinda made a threatening move forward and then backed off. I will keep a close eye and make sure he doesn't get hurt, but so far he's not doing bad.

so even though i only see the very tips of the breeding tubes protruding, will they come out completely in a few days? I know its not poo because one pooped and the tube was still protruding while he/she pooped.. and the tube is kinda flesh colored and wider than poo.

you could put a divider in the tank until you know for sure what is going on. How big are your angels? If they are around 3 inches then I'd say they are mature enouh to spawn. However, it does sound like they are picking the filter intake as their "area" and usually once they pick a spot, unless it is removed, they will continue to spawn in that same place.

ok, well they are about 3" and the two are definitely always swimming as a pair, bu ttoday they aren't doing any spawning activites at all. They are just swiming together normally and begging for food! I guess i was just gettin gmy hopes up.. :(

Back
Top Bottom